1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bread Makers - just to change the subject.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MickLL, Mar 22, 2019.

1. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The stuff from "Artisan Bakers" hereabouts that I have tried has been unimpressive and expensive. Rolls that you could use to play ice hockey with!

Catriona likes this.
  2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Must have been made with Strong Flour...

Zou likes this.
  3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

"I said baps, not pucks."

Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The Co-op's in-store bakery does a range of inedibles. Buy one of their so-called French sticks and leave it in the bin for a few hours. Excellent for making holes in the ground for posts.
    At least tesco's is better and tastes quite nice.

DaveM399 likes this.
  5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Not made using the Chorleywood Process the!

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm not a Costco member. so I'd need to factor in the cost of membership, and for my low usage, it wouldn't be worth it.

However, I've now discovered that larger Asda stores sell wholemeal bread flour at an attractive price, and I picked up two 1.5kg packs yesterday.

7. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Update and , I'm afraid, an abject miserable total failure.

I made a loaf the other day and it came out like a housebrick. Cutting off the six crusts (which were edible) left a rock hard completely inedible stonelike object. I have to guess that Mr Hicks would have been delighted!!!

I think that the trouble was that I found two packets of yeast already opened and used them. Whether the yeast in the opened packets was dead or insufficient I don't know but it clearly didn't work. Suffice it to say that subsequent loaves have been great!!

MickLL

Catriona likes this.
  8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You need fresh yeast.
    I did the same when I first got a maker.

S

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Until she got married my mother had fresh bread every day, her father was a baker and had the gold medals to prove it. Unfortunately he retired and sold the business long before I was old enough to appreciate good bread.

10. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Terry Pratchett would have been delighted. Dwarf bread!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  11. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Can I get this up to 100 pages like Lesley?

Latest is that the machine died. No stirring or kneading and a loose paddle.

Local repair shop : "Sorry sir it's knackered and no spares available"
    Internet: Model discontinued no spares available anywhere.
    Internet2: Secondhand replacement at a price that would get me a new latest model.

Finally in desperation I attack said machine with tools. A couple of hours later, and having spent 50p on an 'O' ring at Plumbase, the machine is fixed.

Happy days and 'yah boo' to the local repair shop!!!!

MickLL

daft_biker, Zou, Catriona and 2 others like this.
  12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the Chorleywood process was developed because the UK wasn't producing enough wheat varieties which were of sufficient quality to make high-quality bread products and this process, therefore, permitting a much greater proportion of the lower-protein domestic wheat we were harvesting in the UK. An additional benefit was that it took much less time to manufacture and the amount of flour in each loaf was a lot less, reducing the amount of flour that had to be imported.

13. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Some time ago I considered the idea of getting a breadmaker to to produce sourdough bread, but was informed that because this uses a sourhdough starter instead of yeast the results aren't very good as the rising time is much longer and also flutuates a lot so you need a machine where you can infinitely adjust the rise-time settings.

14. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Further update.

The fix lasted just a few loaves and further fixes also failed quite quickly - and then the machine started to turn itself off, randomly, during the cycle. It's now with the great breadmaker in the sky and has been replaced with a very basic model (don't need all the bells and whistles that some have). First couple of loaves OK but I'm now working on tweaking the recipe to get precisely what we want.

MickLL