1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new to photography

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Dan S, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Hello
    After many years of wanting, I finally purchased a camera and I'm happy to say that it has sparked a new passion within me. I have traversed a multitude of YouTube videos and Internet content trying to gather any and all relevant info and now my head is about to explode, but in a happily out of my depth kind of way.
    So I'm hoping that a community such as this may help me sort that information into more manageable chunks.
    Happy to be here
    Dan

Geren likes this.
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Hi Dan, and welcome to the forum!

I am a sucker for youtube videos as I hate, hate, hate reading manuals BUT there's nothing quite like getting out there and taking photographs to get the learning process underway!

3. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Hi Dan and welcome on board!

Have a look round and feel free to ask any-questions you may have, remember the only stupid question is the one that was never asked.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Cheers,

Derek

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Morning Dan.

S

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. The great thing about photography these days is that learning is free, at least once you have all the necessaries, and feedback on the results instantaneous. No more waiting for prints to come back from the processor to find out you had the wrong settings!

6. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Thanks ever so much everyone for your encouraging words.
    I'm taking lots of photos and beginning to realise some of my options, mistakes and successes.
    I have also realised that editing photos is pretty important too but am unsure which to go for and what my best options are.
    If I were to opt for lightroom would that mean I need photoshop or is it all part of the same thing? I've been using pixlr but am noticing the limitations, not least that I doesn't appear to edit raw.
    Any suggestions or good threads to read?
    Thanks
    Dan

7. steveandthedogs

There are cheaper options which do the same job.

PaintShopPro, affinity, Luminar, and others.

S

8. PeteRob

The standalone version of Lightroom (6.14) is no longer supported. The supported equivalent, Lightroom Classic CC, is by subscription and Photoshop is also part of the package. I've elected to subscribe because I find LR easy, convenient and good for organising photos irrespective of what camera they are taken with.

I evaluated and bought OnOne Photoraw (2018) which is quite powerful and combines capabilities of both LR and Photoshop (PS) but I don't find it as easy as LR to use. I didn't update to the 2019 version. Although it is standalone the annual updates are not far off the Adobe subscription price.

I wouldn't use the Adobe on-line LR version - I guess it has some advantages with respect to security of your images but there is a price to on-line storage and for the moment I'd rather keep my pics on a hard disk drive (or three).

I last week installed PS. I'm already paying for it so seems a waste not to find out how to use it. I don't know how long it will take me to learn it but LR does most of what I want. I'm not into compositing/removing things or graphic art which is the purpose of PS.

9. steveandthedogs

All true Pete, but you don’t need to update every year. Or at all.

S

peterba likes this.
  10. PeteRob

Quite true, but I bought a new camera and got fed up converting RAF files to DNG to get them into LR 6.14 and there have been improvements worth having - such as luminance/colour masking in the gradient and radial filters, plus the dehaze control is tather useful to have.

peterba likes this.
  11. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I did think about affinity. There are some things that lighroom does that I like and I'm not sure if that is on affinity? I like the colour filters for black and white photos but I'm unsure if other editing software will share similar features?

12. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Does that mean you can't store images onto the hard drive ? So lighroom classic is the one to get if I wanted images saved to my hardrive?

I really appreciate the replies

13. steveandthedogs

There are colour filters available in PaintshopPro under Effects, Photo Effects, Black and white film. Then simply choose from the colour wheel.
    I suspect that other programmes are much the same, just different names/ways of getting there.
    Other filters and effects are also available.
    Does layers as well - very useful.

S

14. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

That's useful, thank you very much

15. PeteRob

I don't know about can't in the absolute sense but LR CC is intended to integrate with cloud storage and is a different (more simple) program to Lightroom Classic CC. At least that is my impression, there was a lot of confusion when it was launched. Lightroom CC is bundled with LR classic CC and PS but with a small cloud storage allocation. Paying for more cloud storage costs money. I would guess the long term business plan is to make money from the storage rather than from the programs. Once you have a TB on-line then, in a realistic view, there it is going to stay. It is easier to put data up a 100 MB at a time then pull huge quantities back unless you are gifted with a contention-free mega-mega-mega-MBS connection. Ain't going to happen with my 12 MBS (on a good day).

16. PeteRob

"Profiles" are the flavour of the month. Even Lightroom classic CC has caught the bug. I guess many people find pre-computed conversions helpful and I do use the basic ones familiar from the camera* but once you have 20, 30, 40 to choose from they get a bit off-putting. As long as the software lets you copy editing instructions you can reapply them to multiple images.

*standard, landscape, portrait, neutral, faithful, mono + R.Y.G.B

17. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Thank you Pete