1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new APOY forum!

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Gemma_Padley, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Gemma_Padley

Gemma_Padley AP freelance

Welcome to our exciting new forum dedicated to discussing all things APOY-related. The results are in for APOY Round 5: Creative Wildlife. We received some stunning entries and the judges were blown away by the standard of images submitted. Keep up the good work! Look out for the results in our 30 July issue (on sale Tuesday 26 July.)

There is still time to enter our current round, Round 6: People at home. We're looking for fantastic images of people taken in their home environment. For details of how to enter and to find out more about what the judges are looking for, visit: www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/apoy11. The closing date is 29 July, so get photographing!

In the meantime, dust off your thinking caps for Round 7: Away from home, our latest round to be announced. The theme for this round is travel photography in the UK or abroad. Full details will be published in our 6 August issue.

For the chance to win thousands of pounds of superb Canon camera equipment, send your entries to us now!

Good luck! From the AP APOY team

2. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Would you mind if we post our images that failed to get into the top 30 in here?

3. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I'm interested in how the judging process takes place. Are the images first looked at with no accompanying information at all for a general sift, are titles revealed as the process goes on, or are titles included included from the beginning?

Sometimes an image needs a title or a little context especially in a round like this month's.

4. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Hi Stephen - go ahead. You can also use these threads to post pictures you are thinking of submitting, to get the advice and help from the other members.

5. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

The pictures are always looked at on their own. The titles and photorgapher's name only come out when the pages are being designed. The result then is always based on the best picture regardless of what it is called or its caption.

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Thanks Damien. I thought that entries would have been judged anonymously but, as the entry form requires a title, I was wondering whether this was revealed during the judging process.

7. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Can I suggest you re-arrange the title to APOY (Amateur Photographer of the Year).

The reason is the the new post list only takes the first word and on that it appears as Amateur which is a bit cryptic.

Just a suggestion as I said :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Will do, just need to resize first :)

Slight problem though......

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Once upon a time the APOY comp was PoY and pros were included - it was like PP's similar contest - it was an open competition. Then they were excluded. Why? No reasonable reason has ever been given.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The inclusion of the word 'amateur' in the title of the magazine makes it reasonable to assume that its flagship competition would be open to those of amateur status. Less confusion that way.

11. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

I too have tried to post on this new forum page, to be confronted with the same message as Scphoto.

What's going on?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

12. 0lybacker

Just some small snags with that - the mag includes professional photography, reviews pro equipment, is read by pros, its news pages trumpet when amateurs win open comps beating pros and the winners of APOY often become pros. :confused:

[Plus the amateur rule is often not policed too well! ;)]

13. Clodhopper

Clodhopper Well-Known Member

The difference between "amateur" and "pro" would seem to be non-existent these days... As far as I remember, for the purposes of the competition, amateur is defined by percentage or amount of income derived from photography.

However, these days, every man and his dog claim they are a photographer, with "welcome to the website for blah di blah photography" so I guess ownership of a budget DSLR (and a copy of the AP "how to make money from your photos" supplement) is all you need to be a pro ;)

14. milbott

milbott New Member

I have sent an entry for "people at home" via post. I have always gotten an email for electronic entry's but was was wondering if mail is sent to say that a hard copy has been received.

15. Mr_P

Mr_P Well-Known Member

Congratulations to our fellow forumite LeeJ on his second place for his Baby Orangutan shot!! Nice one.

16. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

For anyone experiencing problems posting replies/images in this area of the forum; can I suggest y'all flush your cookies and start over.

Any further issues (having done that) please post in the forum feedback area, it's purely by chance I came across these issues here.

17. Gemma_Padley

Gemma_Padley AP freelance

18. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

19. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Hi,

just wondering how many entrants are awarded points in any round ? The top 30 are printed in the magazine but the top 50 are credited on the website ? If only the top 50 are awarded points it would be nice if people in positions 31-50 were credited in the magazine, even without their images being printed, as I realise this would take up even more space. If more than the top 50 are given points I suppose it wouldn't be feasible.

thanks, Lisa.

20. 0lybacker

I have justed noticed this on the Magazine page of the AP web-site:

About Us

Amateur Photographer is the world's oldest consumer weekly photographic magazine, first hitting the newsstands on October 10 1884. Since then, AP (as it is affectionately known to its readers) has been the bible for both amateur and professional photo-enthusiasts around the world. It has helped generations of photographers to improve their skills.

Ooops! :eek:

Time to change the rules, methinks ... ;):D