1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Bettina, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

I was thinking of going this Sunday - cheapo tickets 10 quid return from Waterloo and air show. Is this a worthwhile thingy?

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I know a good restaurant in Bournemouth after asking about them a few weeks ago.

Nice sandy beach and beach huts... photo and photo

3. Bettina

Ta, really depends on the weather. :D

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

True, but this photo was taken during a storm:

[​IMG]

The rain was pelting down and we got absolutely soaked!

5. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Weather permitting the air show is excellent; I'd offer to pick you up from the station, but parking is going to be horrendous if it's anything like last year so I will be catching the bus from the end of the road I'm on.

aee here

Best place to view from IMO is the East Overcliff Drive, the cliffs are about 30M/100' high, some planes were actually blow that height last year.

Probably worth taking a taxi from the station, It's just under a mile, fairly level, ask to be dropped on Meyrick road as near the east cliff lift as possible, roads near the cliff top are closed to traffic for the duration of the show, so the taxi likely will probably have to drop you about 100 yards or so short. Buses would drop you by the Lansdowne roundabout.

click here

Station is just above centre of the map, follow Holdenhurst road down to the second roundabout (The Lansdowne), Meyrick road runs from that roundabout to the Overcliff drive. If you zoom in you can see the cliff lift. A little to the west of the cliff lift is a zig-zag path down to the shore, I should be somewhere between the lift and the top of the zig-zag.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Aren't you a bit young for Bournemouth? :D

7. Bettina

I'll be travelling on a return ticket! :D

8. Dorset_Mike

Darn it, I thought for a moment I might be able to let the spare room :rolleyes:

9. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

OI!!!

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

QED. :D

11. vicki1234

vicki1234 Well-Known Member

Come Bettina it's a great day out.
    I live just by the beach and the planes are amazing when they fly over head. So many great photo oportunities. (even if the weather is rubbish)
    To be honest Sat and Fri look to be the best days as in the eve you have entertainment too. Sunday is still a cracker though.

Here is Sundays line up......

12.15PM - 1.15PM
    Royal marines beach assault

1.15pm-2pm
    Hawk -T1 - Raf Valley
    Air ambulance
    The blades
    Team Guinot wingwalk

2pm-3pm
    Spitfire and mustang
    Lancaster
    Royal Navy black cats (helipcopter display team)
    Swift team
    Raf falcons parachute display team

3pm - 4pm
    Search and rescue demonstration (helicopter)
    Sally B (B-17 flying fortress)
    Kitty Hawk
    Raf chinook

4pm-5pm
    King Air - Be200
    Yakolevs
    Avro Vulcan
    Matadors
    Eurofighter Typhoon
    Red Arrows! yey!

Also on the ground....
    Ghurkha rifles dance group
    Caledonian society Scottish dancing
    HM Royal marines band
    Boscombe salvation army band.
    ome Bettina it's a great day out.
    I live just by the beach and the planes are amazing when they fly over head. So many great photo oportunities. (even if the weather is rubbish)
    To be honest Sat and Fri look to be the best days as in the eve you have entertainment too. Sunday is still a cracker though.

And deffo the spot where Dorset Mike said is the best place to stand. ;)

:) :) :)

12. Bettina

:) :) :)

13. Rustyknight

Rustyknight Well-Known Member

The Guinot wing-walking team were at Weymouth today (wednesday) as part of their carnival. A great act, in my opinion.

[​IMG]

I hope to get to the Bournemouth show on saturday, though I'll probably park in Poole and walk along the prom. It looks like a fantastic line-up for the show. :cool:

14. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

fancy this myself never been to bournmouth so will see, might pop up sat or sun will have to have a look and see whats different for the two days

15. Dorset_Mike

There are some park and rides set up, think they are charging £10 all in park and bus for up to 7 people in one vehicle, so if you have a 7 seater it works out cheap.

If you know Poole/Parkstone area, then park at Sea View (Constitution hill) view point (it's free and you can park under the trees) take the 1b or 1c bus from there into Bournemouth (the yellow double deckers) get off at the Lansdowne, about 200 yards from the East overcliff, (it's beyond Bournemouth town centre).

16. vicki1234

vicki1234 Well-Known Member

For others that are interested Saturday has only the battle of britain memorial flight added. So it is the same displays as Sunday but in a diff order!
    Also on Sat eve in Bournemouth gardens there is a balloon glow, fireworks and Heliosphere display.

If you want the times I can put them here if ya want. :)

17. Rustyknight

Rustyknight Well-Known Member

That would be great if you do Vicki. :cool:

18. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

thanks for info mike, going to look at weather forecast and whats on may decide if we are going to go sat instead of sunday as missus got work mon

19. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Would you mind NOT going to seaview as I normally go there for a coffee and dont want it too busy.. ;)

20. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

where exactly is Sea view :rolleyes: :D