1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bosses

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Feb 10, 2019.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Reminds me of our, short lived, commercial department. A bunch of account managers in a couple of open plan offices with a glass partition between them. On one occasion I was visiting, can't remember why, and a guy from the office I was in walked to the partition and started waving at someone on the other side. Unfortunately for him he was leaning over the shredder, a large automatic machine as tall as a desk. You can probably guess the rest...

His tie dangled over the paper slot and activated the machine which promptly started munching on it. Fortunately somebody near by hit the reverse button. For Catriona's benefit, the office was at the front of TBA so lots of "important" people about at times too.

Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

You made me look for old photos. Quite hard to come by. Here's where I was. I used to park on the 8th floor and walk upstairs. Oh memories.
    [​IMG]

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That looks to be a fairly recent photograph. The scaffolding on the right hand end of the building is actually a lift used by the builders to remodel the 10th and 9th floors, in that order, for Engineering Head office and The "Learning academy" respectively. The picture must be about four years old.

Catriona likes this.
  4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

My ex was in there for about a year around 1975/6, hated it and went back to Guinness at Park Royal.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Oh, I loved it! The work, the views (sometimes Concorde/s) the people I worked with, the lot! I even used to challenge myself to race round the ellipse leaving the car park. Eight stories of fun.
    Shame your ex hated it. I guess it depends where she was working. I found BA a marvellous employer. Terribly greedy on pensions though!
    1975/76 was when I moved there from South Ruislip (the old BEA offices).

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Bealine House? I had my interview there. Never worked there, started out in Comet House. Followed by Speedbird, all three office floors of TBC, TBE and Waterside (two different buildings there-in). But not necessarily in that order! At least they ran regular shuttle buses between them all.

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

You don't recognize any of these do you?
    ba new comp system ap.jpg

Not evcen at my own corner! I was proper fed up!

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

That looks like it dates from the time before IM was created - when we were split into OR (the old BEA computer group, based in Bealine/Comet, under Norman Tobin when I joined) and CD (Computer Development(?) the old BOAC computer people, based in TBC?). We never seemed to meet except on neutral territory!

Mind you, if that's the NW corner of TBC, I did have a workstation there at one point. Quite happy there, until I realised I had one more floor below me, then eight of empty space... :eek:

Catriona likes this.
  9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

First guy on the left Alan Partridge?

Catriona likes this.
  10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think that the the NE corner with TBA in the background.
    If you look at the first picture there is a dark window, lower (9th) floor, just to the left of the nearest lamp post. I had a desk a bit to the left of that with a grandstand view of MMM. My boss at the time lived on the bridge between North ans South wings, it probably wasn't there in 1975/6, we were apprentices together so it was more cooperation than direction. After he left another friend took over, I worked for him until I left. Quarterly reviews were discussions of old friends and acquaintances, I made sure he always knew what I was doing, why and how.

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I was on the bridge for a while, too. I tried to avoid thinking bout various building disasters while I was there!

@Catriona - I'm out on the booze with a few friends from BA days at the end of the month, one of who did about 35 years there - I'll see if they recognize anyone in the pic. That OK with you?

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

Yes, no problem!

13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I shall report back in a couple of weeks. Just don't get your hopes up!

Catriona likes this.
  14. Catriona

It's OK. I know one or two still, though the names of others escape me. The three at the back on the right were from IT the rest were my lot.(Sales Ledger) and bosses. Must have been about 1986 (ish).

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm sure they were all teachers at my school.

Catriona likes this.
  16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

There is no way those wine glasses would be allowed now!

Catriona likes this.
  17. Catriona

Why not?

We used to have some wild parties up till about 1987 when it was all sat upon. There was always someone leaving, having kids, retiring, moving to another department... but we always got the work done!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Alcohol isn't allowed on BA premises these days. Probably for the best now that engineers have the same blood alcohol limit as car drivers and crew a quarter of that. No one who isn't allowed a drink would accept their boss being allowed one either.

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I bet that's clobbered the Green Man's takings!

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

Do you get breathalysed at the gate now? After business lunches?

I hope you are all very happy and work like mad and do hours you don't get paid for and have great camaraderie. But I guess not.

Roger Hicks and Zou like this.