1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonus question: What do you think are the most scenic driving routes in Britain?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Jul 26, 2017.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Anywhere on Skye, Hardknott and Wrynose passes in the Lake district, the A4086 through Snowdonia, almost any of the routes North of Stirling towards Skye.

2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

The first time I drove that route about all I saw was a blurry vague idea of where the road went. Took a very long time to reach Skye, with several stops till the rain eased up enough to see the road. Been back since & it is glorious, but I've never seen rain like that before or since!

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Reminds me of my holiday in Wales as a kid getting driven around wet hills looking for Red Kites and only seeing Buzzards.

I've not been back though. Maybe one day I'll take the bike down and find some nice rocky bits to play on as the geology looks a bit different and the rocks look less grippy.....lots of slate IIRC where the Black Cuillin on Skye are Gabbro which are about the grippiest rocks out there.

Zou likes this.
  4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

This thread is probing our secrets. When I see some adverts for silly SUVs which will never be driven more than a mile from the motorway network I wonder where they made that film. I don't want them to publicise it; I only want me to know. Well I am not going to tell you my favourate bits of road. All I will say is that they are north of the border on the A6 and more or less half left of Glasgow by a good margin.
    Gabbro is indeed grippy. I can still remember one of my earliest leads, up Cioch slab (please pardon the spelling; it was a long time ago). The slab is not flat but concave; you can start walking up it; as one gets higher, the belays become scarce, the steapness increases and the holds get smaller until one is relying on the Gabbro friction. This was about fifty years ago, I think that I was still using Viking cable laid rope and ex WD carabiners. Nuts were real nuts with the thread turned out and a chamfer added on the school lathe from where I was teaching.
    Today's climbers don't have it easy with all the modern gear; they are expected to achieve so much more. They go to a gym at the times we used to wind down in the pub.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Road with a small number.....hmmm. No idea where that one is but roads with small numbers usually suck. Perhaps this claim needs verified? ;)

Some crackers in the south of Scotland too.....the road through Galloway forest is a hoot and the road down the west side of Loch Ken looks like it would be lots of fun in something sporty and without the dogs in the back. If you are into shooting the night sky it's supposed to be good as it is dark skies status as well as having all the usual hills and reservoirs you expect to find in a national park.

Quite fancy exploring more down there but a reconnaissance mission suggests it would be better done with mates or by myself than dragging the family as there doesn't seem to be much to do other than enjoy the outdoors.

[​IMG]
    (apologies for the lack of artistic, or otherwise, merit:eek::oops:)

Further along the way the A708 past the Grey Mare's Tail is good too.

6. Invermoriston to Skye. Incredible scenery
    The Ullapool / Lochinver area is spectacular.
    And purely for my own nostalgia, the a9 from the southern end up to Aviemore, particularly north of Perth.

7. Blurred Image

Blurred Image Active Member

If you do like the outdoors and are down Galloway forest area then merrick is a reasonable hill and area around Glen Trool. Personally the Rhinns of Kell is a nice ridge and walk. If you go up the valleys and round the back of Merrick and towards loch Enoch you'll have a tough time. As tough as anywhere in Scotland because of the big.

Names like murder hole, clints of buses, rigg of jarkness, Benyellary (hill of the eagles), range of the awful hand, etc. Seriously strange names there and tough walking too despite only having a few Donald's to climb and no Munros.

BTW Loch Enoch has the whitest sands you'll see. Used to extract it for glass because it was so pure.

If you do get out there then apart from the walking you'll get a good photo opportunity or two for sure. Dark skies status and a real rugged beauty. Just be prepared for some rough, path less walking over wet ground. If you're there for a few days accept you'll never get your gear dry after the first day.