1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonus question: Have you ever purchased a product that cost under £30 for your photography?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Apr 18, 2017.

1. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I tried something similar a couple of years ago. I found that it worked quite well - did you have any success with it?

2. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Yes, an El-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 enlarging lens (£20) reverse mounted onto a deglassed 28-80mm zoom (£6) to make an extreme macro lens, with lighting provided by Pringles crisp tube housing for the pop-up flash, diffused with toilet paper. Total cost roughly £30.

Grasshopper nymph 3-4mm long:

[​IMG]

nass, Zou, El_Sid and 2 others like this.
  3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Does going to such lengths count as nymphomania?

Cheers,

R.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I forsee pinhole cameras made from biscuit tins.

5. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Film for my OM10, and my OM10 ;p

I got a rather fancy Leica strap too for £28!

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes, actually, it proved very useful. I think my cutting out of the neg holder could have been slightly neater - a few stray 'fibres' tended to appear at the edge, and I know it wouldn't really do for purists, but I'm not a purist and it allowed me to see very quickly which negs might be worth working on in the darkroom, and it also allowed me to see images that might otherwise have languished in a box forever! I kept it when we moved and have since acquired a plastic neg holder - just need to figure out how to attach it to the tin!

peterba likes this.
  7. Roger Hicks

Dear Pete,

BISCUIT TINS? When I were a lad... (cue Four Yourkshiremen sketch).

Cheers,

R.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I've bought a fair few bits including filters, camera bags, lenses and even the odd camera - some have even been freebies.

Not so good on the DIY front though I did make a flash diffuser for my Speedlight out of a squeezy ketchup bottle and sellotape...

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The thing is that 40 years ago £30 bought rather more camera kit than it does today so, yes I have bought plenty of photographic products for under £30. I think that my first SLR was probably priced around that.

10. Roger Hicks

Dear Geoff,

Very true. My girlfriend's Leica II with 50/3.5 Elmar was £20 in 1969. Then she wanted it back and I had to buy my own: a IIIa (with the Elmar again) for £30.

Cheers,

R.

11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Metal lens hood 77mm long and also has a 72mm thread ON BOTH ENDS so that the lens cap can be used on it (and it can be left permanently attached to the lens). Perfect for my used Tokina 80-400mm on an APS-C Pentax K5 - no vignette on image even at 80mm end of zoom, but kills lens flare and maximises contract. Cost about £15 including shipping from dealer in Hong Kong found on eBay. Paid by PayPal and received within two weeks. Also 25mm long filter of same design to use on used Sigma 50mm f2.8 lens for similar price. I could not find anything like this from a UK retailer.

Recently a used decent quality pan/tilt tripod head for £25 from the ever-helpful London Camera Exchange.

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's £302.10p in modern money. You can still get a lot of camera for that amount. MW are selling a IIIa with a 50mm Summar for £275 so you'd have £27 left over for film!

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

MW? Mountain Warehouse?o_O

14. Andrew Flannigan

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Thanks for that....

16. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Well, sort of. The trouble is that the basket of goods chosen for these comparisons don't reflect the wild variations in the values of different goods across time: electronics, for example, versus beer or postage stamps.

Cheers,

R.

17. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Various second-hand lenses over the years.

Lynn

18. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

A rather nifty hot shoe cover with a spirit level built in. Suprisingly useful for a cheap gadget.

19. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I've managed each of those for under £10 each. Even assuming we're restricting purchases to this decade, I think film is the only one I can't bring down to an under £3 challenge.

Camera - An Agfa Billy Record for £1 - It seems to be working OK.
    Lenses - Tamron SP90 macro for £1 - slightly battered but functional & it even had the right adaptall fitting (usually sells on e-bay for £5+)
    Remote release - several mechanical models typically £2
    Filters - A green (YG) filter last Monday for £2 has since proved to work suprisingly well for NIR.
    Tripod - Table top model in Malaysia was probably only a couple of quid.
    Bag - The camera backpack used for my micro four thirds kit came from a charity shop for £1.50
    Film I don't buy often, The last films were a couple of 120 rolls from 7-Day shop probably around £5 each

For the DIY part I brought several old P&S digital cameras (also under £10) for DIY conversion to infra red.
    I started with the one that didn't work for practice, then did a Kodak Easyshare which works but only focuses close up as I didn't have a suitable replacement for the hot mirror.
    The Sony proved to have a very complex case so I gave up on it, after all I already had 3 infra red converted cameras & don't really need more!

Then there's DIY Bokeh masks, a soft focus adaption, homemade QR plates...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Zou likes this.
  20. Andrew Flannigan

Found this Fujifilm SL300 in a charity shop for £5 today. It certainly needs some TLC and I won't know if it works until a charger and battery arrives from Amazon...

[​IMG]