1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonus question: Have you ever purchased a product that cost under £30 for your photography?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Liam Clifford

Liam Clifford Active Member

If so, what was it? It can be anything from photobooks to filters.

Additionally: Have you ever used your DIY skills to create something for your photography? What was it and how did it go?

Let us know, and you might just see your answer appearing in the magazine.

[​IMG]
    Image: Philip Swinburn

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Yes - dumb extension tubes. also a rack and pinion focussing system that cost about £15. Both used for a specific project and very good value for money

Not to mention the cheap lens caps that I use to replace the expensive Canon ones whenever I buy a lens

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Lenses, cameras, straps. Not quite an endless list but enough stuff to give hours of amusement.

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Oh yes I forgot the Oly OM10 I bought for 15 swiss francs

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

polariser from the bit box of what once had been a photography shop

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Can't think of a type of bit of kit I haven't bought for under £30, as well as plenty of examples ovwr.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Lots and lots and lots, especially second hand.

Who HASN'T?

Cheers,

R.

Zou, RogerMac and peterba like this.
  8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Indeed - the question is rather a silly premise for a thread, to be frank.

9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Remote shutter release, filters, case for compact camera.

10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Too many items to remember :)

11. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Is it a trick question? :confused:

peterba likes this.
  12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

film. Many other things too.

Stupid poll

Zou and Roger Hicks like this.
  13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Fingerless woolly gloves. Best. Photography. Purchase. Ever.

14. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Last purchase for under £30 was yesterday: the Taylor Wessing 2015 exhibition catalogue from an Oxfam shop for £4. :)

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Camera ✓
    Lens ✓
    Film ✓
    Remote release ✓
    Filters ✓
    Tripod ✓
    Bag ✓
    Etc...

16. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Tony,

Better than a camera? Or lens? Or film? Or memory card? Or tripod? Or cable release?

Tried 'em. Close to: Worst. Photography. Purchase. Ever.

To quote one of my favourite sayings, which I last quoted only a few days ago: If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: don't exaggerate.

Cheers,

R.

17. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Whilst I've bought lots of second-hand stuff cheap, I'm going to go with the spirit of the original question and name the best new buy I've made and the worst DIY job:

New: A Manfrotto Pixi tripod - they're great value for money, tiny and do the job really well.

DIY: I was given a camera, and in the bag were a series of lens hoods for all of the lenses...made from 'Flora' margarine pots, painted matte black. I remembered making one myself when I was far younger and (believe it or not) stupider than I am today. I remember thinking how cool my margarine tub lens hood must have looked...I think I might have been a bit wrong.

Come on folks - it's a bit of a nebulous question, but you know what they're looking for - don't beat them over the head with it...too much.

Cheers, Jeff

peterba and EightBitTony like this.
  18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

OK apart from film and memory cards the best thing that I purchased new for under £30 was the fisheye lens for my Pentax QS-1. It was £29.99
    Happy now?:D:p

Zou and peterba like this.
  19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Lacking a scanner for negatives, I constructed 'thing' to photograph them instead. I used an old round tubular biscuit tin that fit on the end of my 100mm macro lens and cobbled together a negative holder from cardboard which I attached to the other end of the biscuit tin. I could then set the entire contraption on a lightbox and use a full frame camera to photograph the negs before using photoshop to convert them to digital positives.

peterba likes this.
  20. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes, but I just don't know WHY they're looking for it! :)