1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blurred Image introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Blurred Image, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Blurred Image

Blurred Image Active Member

Hi there,

Don't normally introduce myself when I join a forum but think I will this time.

I'm not new to photography but might as well be since digital and even As formats weren't around when I last got seriously into photography.

I'm looking at getting a used DSLR to find out if I want to get back into photography as a hobby. However I'm justifying the purchase under the guise of taking more family trip photographs. A few years back I went on a 2 week family holiday and on returning discovered I'd only taken 8 photographs, all on my LG G2 phone! I need to change that as a starter.

I used to be into landscape photography with a few nature shots taken (my best macro was a coral fungi, beautiful close up) Mostly while out walking in the hills. This is my goal but photography will take second place to looking after / entertaining my young son on these walks.

I'd be interested to find out if others work their photography around family activities. It strikes me that to be serious about photography you need time for yourself and probably a lot of it. Right now I have family activities for the taking of photographs and evenings for processing on the computer afterwards. Not really any spare time for going off solo.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Welcome along. Get the young un a starter camera, then you can take him with you on you photographic expeditions. Quality time with son, and photography trips. Double Whammy! ;)

Geren and EightBitTony like this.
  4. Blurred Image

Blurred Image Active Member

He got a kiddizoom toy camera at 2. He mostly plays with the games on it and effects too but doesn't use it for taking photos.

For real photography he uses my partner's smartphone for that or a tablet for selfie / videos of himself. At 3 he got a little obsessed with taking close ups of his toy cars and other things with my smartphone (LG G2). Took some really good photographs.

I nearly got a proper camera instead of that toy one. There's a tough little compact camera in several colours that is waterproof and not too expensive. However we felt it was too expensive for what would just be a toy among many, many, many other toys he has.

Craig20264 likes this.
  5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

No no, buy the young un a Canon 5D mark IV, and buy yourself an entry level DSLR. No one bats an eyelid when you buy kids expensive electronics. Then, because clearly, it's too heavy for someone so young, you do the only right thing and carry it for them, while they carry the much lighter entry level camera.

Sorted.

Geren and Craig20264 like this.
  6. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums.
    I would suggest a Canon eos600D. Excellent camera that you can get cheap SH.

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a camera that is small, will take a fair bit of battering and is also waterproof, I'd suggest one of the Olympus 'Tough' cameras; I think the 4 has just been superseded by the 5, so you may well find the 4 at a very attractive price. You've got quite a choice of makes and models to choose from, so you will find this page offers a useful starting-point, from which to find out more. (Hint: Clicking on the model's name takes you to further info.)

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-waterproof-tough-cameras-2017-17302

Sam.