1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blea tarn sunrise reflections

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by alfbranch, Jan 2, 2019.

1. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

I went to Blea tarn for my first outing of the year today I was tired after N/S yesterday and today was a better forecast. I arrived in better time than I expected and had the place to myself for over an hour.

The water was still and there was just ebough cloud I almost left too early but got my tripod back out and was glas I did I am not one for quitting early usually.

Before sunrise

[​IMG]Blea tarn reflection 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

after sunrise

[​IMG]Blea tarn reflection 4 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

[​IMG]Blea tarn reflection by Alf Branch, on Flickr

[​IMG]Blea tarn reflection 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

What do you think?

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be an arse, Alf, and say that I'd like to see one at the pink hour with the foreground rocks in. They're all lovely, but I think that would be special.

Adrian

3. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Like the composition of 3rd light in 1st

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

#3 is best for me. Contrail spoils #2. #1 I don't find the colours complementary. #4 is nice but not engaging. Apologies for brevity, has been a long day.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

4th for me, but possibly needed a grad or polariser. Grad on diagonally perhaps. The foreground makes the third a game of two halves for me. Not so much a lead-in as a separate subject.

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Third for me by quite a long way. I see what Mike's saying but there's something quite alien about it which appeals. It reminds me of an Ursula Le Guin book cover somehow. Might not be what you were going for of course...

7. alfbranch

Thanks Adrian
    While that would be nice I tried something else as foreground which I was less happy with so used this simple shot. The area with the rocks is very cluttered and it not easy to simplify to such a composition especially when its still quite dark.

Thanks Cliveva

Thanks Pete
    #2 The contrail could be sorted #3 & #4 sorry you dont like them

Thanks Mike
    The 4th was shot without a ND grad handheld with my E-M1 as my E-M5ii was on the tripod for Hi Res shots I did adjust the sky a little.

Thanks Geren glad you like it

8. PeteRob

I did not say "I don't like them"! I thought #3 better than #1 and #4 that's all.

9. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

Plenty of keepers there! number 2 especially ;)

10. alfbranch

You didnt say you did like them either

Thanks Scott

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I would be happy with any of them, but then I can't recall seeing one of your shots I haven't liked, Alf.

alfbranch likes this.
  12. Knotty

Knotty Active Member

Wow. I thought Pete gave a balanced appraisal and even apologised for his brevity. Is everybody this thin skinned here? I was looking forward to giving and getting feedback on here.

13. PeteRob

:) That wasn't being thin-skinned :). Alf's photography is of a very high standard and he lives in a beautiful part of the world. It doesn't need saying "that's good" to every post he makes, it is pretty much always true!

alfbranch likes this.
  14. Knotty

Knotty Active Member

I understand that. Thanks for the explanation. I still dont understand his comment though.

15. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The effort to get there early really paid off. If I'd taken these I'd be proud of all of them, but if I was printing on to go on the wall it would be the last one - the reflections in the water are perfect. Do you print any of your pictures? This would look fantastic at 100 or 120 cm wide, and possibly cropped a little more top and bottom.

I don't think these shots need the rock in the foreground, but everybody will have a different opinion.

alfbranch likes this.
  16. Knotty

Knotty Active Member

I think number 4 is terrific. You could mount it portrait which would really play with the viewers brain.

alfbranch likes this.
  17. PeteRob

It was a joke.

18. Knotty

Knotty Active Member

Very nearly. ;)

19. alfbranch

Thanks Nick

Thanks Chester
    Not a particularly early start I do not print that often as I am not allowed that many large shots on the wall I finally got one last year from a Holiday though

Thanks Knotty
    If I wanted abstract I would use something else I had shot.

20. alfbranch

If you like being ctriticised you will love this place. In general it is overly critical and often lacking in positive comments or actual advice. This in my opinion is why the forum is still so small. I read ona nother forum recently a comment about photo forums saying how unwelcoming they were and my geuss was right that it was AP.