1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blea Tarn (again...) for Alf

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by gray1720, Apr 15, 2019.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

As you dropped a BIG hint, here's one from your spare camera (dodgy item on sensor digitally removed)

I think I know what will be said, but after the time it took to sort out DNG converter, I was damned if I wasn't going to post something.

Adrian

P4080025.jpg

2. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

That dodgy item is still on the sensor I tried some but its not shifted yet.

I think it could be procesed better to bring out the colours

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think so too but the contrails detract (pet hate of mine) and procesing to deepen the colours will probably make them stand out more.

4. Christopher David Tansley

Christopher David Tansley Well-Known Member

I like this and the reflection in the water. As I like b/w I'm trying to imagine what it would look like. Nice shot anyway.

5. James Quinn

James Quinn Active Member

Maybe a stupid question/statement but I'm assuming the reflection has been done in photoshop and you didn't just photograph the stiller, clearest water on the planet?

I like it.

6. gray1720

You massively flatter my Photoshop skills, James! It's easy when you are shown a sheltered area of water on a still morning, no way I could do that on the 'pooter.

Adrian

7. James Quinn

James Quinn Active Member

Really? That is the loveliest still water I might have ever seen :D

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Check out plenty of pictures here from Alf and Adrian, all showing super flat water reflections. You just have to know where, put in the effort and bring a little luck.

9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I have a very similar picture and it's probably the most pleasing photo I've ever done. It's not because it's a great picture or in any way photographically special but because it brought such pleasure to my Brother -in-Law who loved that spot and was dying with a brain tumour at the time.

MickLL

alfbranch likes this.
  10. gray1720

It's all down to Alf's local knowledge - I just ride in on his coat tails!

Mick, you've given me a bit of dust in my eye...

Adrian

alfbranch likes this.
  11. alfbranch

I can vouch for the stillness of the morning and the stunning reflections that Adrian was photographing and apart from a few moments the tarn was like this for 2 hours that we were there

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have to disagree. These muted shades represent the perfect Lake District morning. There is a beautiful gradation of haze between the features at different distances.
    All I would attempt to fix would be the con trails. With my lack of skills I would probably mess it up.
    Its a lovely shot.

13. alfbranch

Adrian
    I hope you do not mind but here is the shot from the RAw fileof the following shot
    They are softer than I would like due to the use of f18 rather than f8 which is better with the lens and camera combo but thats easy for me I am used to using this set up.

In LR

[​IMG]Adrian BT colour by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Mono in LR then PS

[​IMG]Adrian BT mono by Alf Branch, on Flickr

14. gray1720

Hmm, wish I'd taken somer black and white of it now, that has a loveky ethereal quality!

(have you tried dynamite on the sensor?)

Adrian

alfbranch likes this.
  15. alfbranch

That is your shot Adrian I can email it to you.

You know I have never cleaned or had a sensor cleaned yet except for a blast of air.

16. gray1720

I would love you to email it - I'm seriously thinking about asking for a printable copy of your misty Buttermere pines as well, as I have three misty B&Ws in the hallway that that would really complement - except that vistors might think it was my shot...

I wish I knew how you fitted in processing time, because I can't find it - I'm just about to pop off on a local archaeology dig when I should be sorting my garden as it is.

Dunno if I mentioned it - we did Red Pike the very long way, and I found a lumo of metal in the ghyll which turned out to be from an aircraft crash on Starling Dodd. Funny what's still a bout after all this time.

Adrian

17. gray1720

BTW, Alf, forgot to mention that the first shot on the roll of film in the Moskva turned out to be from Castlerigg with you last year! And I even took the thing out at least twice between Lake District trips...

Adrian

alfbranch likes this.