1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blast from the past 21 March 15 Nikon D3

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by GeoffR, Mar 25, 2015.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I was about to go on holiday when my copy arrived so I didn't see the article until late in the week.

Whilst I agree with most of the What's good section I would take issue with the What's bad paragraph. The absence of a video recording mode is a positive feature from my perspective and while the D3X may have a higher resolution sensor it wasn't, originally, intended for general photography but as a studio camera. Which doesn't mean it isn't any good, simply that, at the time, the D3X wasn't an obvious choice for the enthusiast.

I also can't agree that all used D3 bodies will have had a hard life, I have just bought one in what Grays described a Mint- condition with just over 9000 shutter actuations! They had another one in very similar condition with 13,000.

The major thing that is missing from the What's bad paragraph is the battery. The Nikon EN-EL4A does last well if looked after but a new one costs £120! I know that many people wouldn't buy a Nikon original battery but my experience of third party EN-EL4A equivalents is poor and I wouldn't recommend them.

If you can afford to buy a couple of new batteries with a used D3 it should last a long time but you must budget for batteries.