1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Beauty 4: Pentax SV

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Roger Hicks, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

See my Avatar, a Pentax SV in Chrome. It is immaculate and was my father's camera. It has the M42 55mm F/1.8 lens. I have not put a film through it though, so cannot say if the shutter speeds are correct, but it sounds superb when the shutter fires. It will stay with me for as long as I draw breath and I hope my Grandson(s) will treasure it also as an engineering masterpiece. I also have the 'orange peel' black leather ever ready case.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My SV worked well enough last time I used it, maybe 5 years ago. Only ever had one Spottie pack up on me, and that was one I got for less than a fiver - I've something like 7 S series and Spotmatics. None of them black, though. My K2 DMD is black, and nicely worn. Much prefer a little brassing on these sorts of cameras.

5. Monobod

Probably, if anything, it may be wise to have it lubricated. Perhaps the mirror may stop working properly? I'm not sure but perhaps a call to Pentax might be worth it.

6. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I had a go and 'Lubricated' MY Silver SV I took off the base=plate carefully using a small screwdriver so as not to damage the heads (I now have a genuine JIS set from Japan)and had a look and put one drop of three-in-one oil into a developing dish and picked up a small drop on the end of some electrical fuse-wire and touched it into the gears , cogs and levers and it went in by capillary action and it has wound on 'sweetly' ever since BUT you must be very careful not to drop oil in from the actual oil container as the 'drop size' is FAR too BIG.
    [​IMG]Pentax SV by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

7. Done_rundleCams

Souns like it was beautifully and lovingly done, Pete :)

Cheers,

Jack

8. Monobod

I would like to do this with my SV as the mirror stuck once and I could not remove the screw lens. Fortunately, it freed itself and now works again, but I'm sure a 'lub' is the answer. Just need to be brave.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  9. Done_rundleCams

I think I might have to do that with my Ashaiflex IIb, as well or, in all probability,
    get a repair shop to do it, cuz I suck at any kind of DIY stuff :(

Cheers,

Jack

10. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I have been a Nikon user since errrr........ a long time ago, but these Pentax models were so well made, reliable and not very heavy. True classics.

Done_rundleCams likes this.