1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit deflated with the Leica Vario-Elmarit

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by RovingMike, Jul 2, 2019.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Having got a bit frustrated with the m43 PRO 12-40 f2.8 because of its lack of a longer end and remembering the old Zuiko 12-60, I took the plunge and ordered up the Panasonic Leica 12-60 f2.8-4 for a stiff wedge. First test vs the 12-40 seems to show the Leica OK, but not up to the Oly. Visibly less sharp at 100% on f8, both in the centre and edges.

Must say I'm surprised because I'm used to even "toys" like the 14-40 pancake matching the 12-40 PRO. Anybody else tried it?

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Perhaps you have received a below par copy? I would expect the resolution to peak before f8 as well.

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Does it or the camera body need a firmware update?

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

No conflict between the lens OIS and the Olys sensor stabiliser is there?

5. RovingMike

Thanks for responses, sorry been inattentive. Firmware fully updated, both lenses on f8, but I take what you say on resolution. I keep thinking in film f11 terms.

Might have been an OIS issue. I did switch it off after and have not got back for another test. Thanks will give that a go, but I think bottom line is the Oly lenses are hard to beat anyway. I bought the now discontinued little 14-42 II R as a backup for the Pen F for £100 on ebay and astounded that I can't see any difference with that.

6. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

The Leica DG 8-18 mm f2.8-4 is a superb lens
    I have not tried the lens in question but the 12-40 is hard to beat

7. RovingMike

I think that's the issue! Comparing with the best.

alfbranch likes this.
  8. RovingMike

I must say I'm enjoying using the Vario-Elmarit. That bit of extra reach makes all the difference. Hardly ever tempted to change to the 40-100.

9. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

And the image quality? Did you get that sorted?