1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Birmingham!

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by laj, Aug 19, 2011.

1. laj

laj Well-Known Member

I'm off out with my son today to take photo's of Birmingham City Centre. I know the Bull Ring is a must....lets see where else I end up

2. laj

laj Well-Known Member

Had a great day out with my son...some of my photos are in my flickr....have a look pls xxxx

3. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I should do more photography around the Canals, I cycle around them every (work) day but rarely stop for a shot.

4. laj

laj Well-Known Member

You should, it's beautiful. The closest I had been to them before I took the photos was the sealife centre and the NIA.

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Re-opening a slightly old thread, and hoping for a little local knowledge...

Many years ago I cruised through Birmingham on the canals, and I'm now wondering how easy car parking is fairly close to Spaghetti Junction and the Fazeley Canal, so that I could wander around the tow-paths and photograph the towering columns supporting the M6, A38(M) etc.

Can any of you who know this area of Birmingham give me any pointers? Is car parking safe in this area, or would I expect to have to pay "protection money"?

Many thanks

(Perhaps I could get some zaney views using my Sigma 12-24 on a full frame DSLR.)

6. laj

laj Well-Known Member

Thank you Albern, I hope you have fun trying to take your photos

Regards Laura

7. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Let me know if you make it back alive or at least in one piece. I drive past those pillars most days and there are some great shots to be had there that I can spot just from a car whizzing by, but the area is a little rough to say the least. Be careful mate.

8. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I guess you've warned me off. I'd hate my kit to get sold in a pub to aid some towrag's drug habit. I'll give it a miss.

9. Tim20037

Tim20037 Well-Known Member

I passed this very location today. You should be ok if you go between 9 and 10am most robbers dont get out of bed before 11. Also most robbers wouldnt want to carry a camera with a tripod hanging off it they would most probably go for cash and mobile phone :)

Also take a friend if possible, you will be ok, your less likely to get robbed if theres more than one of you. If we let fear get in our way some of the greatest photographs of all time would never have been captured.

10. laj

laj Well-Known Member

Hi.....I'm off to Brum centre on Saturday to take some photos. I've got produce 6-10 quailty prints for my first task for my course. I have chosen 'The Circle' from a list of titles and as the Bull Ring is full of them I thought I would start there. I have got lots of other ideas too including the ball concrete balls outside the Council offices.

regards laura

11. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Also the exterior of the new library is full of circles.

You could also shoot the 11 and 8 bus!

12. laj

laj Well-Known Member

Thank you for the ideas

regards Laura

13. This thread made me smile, I know all to well the dangers of notourious estates, may be I am mad but I enjoy the sense of danger i get.;)

14. laj

laj Well-Known Member

It isn't that bad here. I was brought up in Feltham, South West London...and feel safer in Birmingham

15. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

There really are some bad reports on here about Birmingham........Birmingham is as safe as any other large city, but you do need a bit of common sense when out with an expensive bit of kit....remember you only need one camera and one lens to take a picture! carry your gear in a rucksack rather than a £100 gadget bag...take a friend with you...dont take large amounts of cash with you...wear your mobile phone around your neck and tucked into your shirt....if you use a city center car park there should not be a problem if you spot a cctv camera park by that, there are still some free parking spaces around the city try Bradford st its only a short walk back to the City center, be on the look out for car clamping signs.....dont be put off by bad reports about Birmingham there are some great pictures to be had here, I like the winter time best on a Sunday morning nice and early then after 11am go into one of the large stores for tea and or coffee, or one of the many cafes, Theres a nice one in Gas St Basin, or if you want to splash out, have a Chinese meal (eat as much as you can)....have a great day! and if you dont get any good pictures then perhaps you should try another hobby!

16. Pretty true, I didnt actually mean Birmingham I just generally meant rough estates (which i find my self on a lot due to the fact most of the old shoe factorys in Northampton are in less affluent areas but great photos can be had) The worst I have had is being asked if i had "Bud" or a drunken lady asking me not to take pictures of her (I did not & certainly would not) but I guess most feel vunerable when they have there pride and joy around their neck or in a rucksack.Birmingham really is a great place but like you say its a large city and a lot of areas have a stigma attatched.

17. utterdocrew

utterdocrew In the Stop Bath

Yes

+1. I agree

18. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

19. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

20. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

if you are into street shots or the odd decent architectural shot then Brum has loads to offer. the city centre is fine, but be careful once you wander out towards inner city areas. I used to live there and go back occasionally and friends tell me to stay well clear of the areas I used to know were safe. Central Brum is fine.