1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware buying TV / DVD etc from Sainsburys...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SteveEM, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Taking a trip down memory lane, who remembers the 'fun and games' to be had when there were radio licences? (These were abolished in 1971 and the fee incorporated into the TV Licence) You had to have an additional one if you had a built-in car radio, and apparently, if you turned up your radio too loud whilst on the beach, you could theoretically, be taken to Court, not just for disturbing the peace, but because you hadn't a Public Performance Licence!

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Or ebay!

I have never been asked for details when buying an hdmi, or any other cable. It is fair enough when you are buying an item that can receive broadcast signals though, indeed it is a legal requirement to either check, as in Currys, or for the customer to complete a form.

Oddly, or perhaps not, the best hdmi cables I have were two cheap ones, bought at a computer fair.

3. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

With all the sh*te that's been on the TV over the festive season and numerous repeats together with the lame offerings that are scheduled for tonight I'm wondering why I bother with a TV at all. BBC radio doesn't seem much better this weekend. Early night I think.

Andrew

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

they have to ask- a few years ago I brought Dave some magical box he would die without (and has used twice) called WinTV and they asked for the details and without thinking since it was for him I gave his name forgetting I pay the TV license- so it's in my name..Dave got several nasty letters and I had to make a good few phone calls to get that sorted out

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The post about your licence only covering 3 TV's is incorrect. It got me thinking as we have 6.
    Here from the TV Licensing site

6. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

The technicalities of the legal position can be confusing, particularly because of recent advances in technology. The original concept was that the licence was intended to cover a single family at a single address. 'Concessions' have been added over time to cover students living away from home plus mobile reception of live TV streams using mobile devices. In the first instance, the idea that any individual/family could own many TVs was preposterous on grounds of cost alone - a very different situation applies today. A fairly recent count at a neighbour's house was abandoned when the number of receivers got very silly (5 x TVs, a similar number of dual-tuner set top boxes, a twin slingbox device, 3 x laptops with DTTV dongles, 2 x laptops with streaming capabilities but no discrete tuners, several tablet devices, numerous smart phones capable of watching live TV via GPRS/WiFi, etc etc...) [He tells me that he doesn't watch much telly!!!]

TV licensing advise you to contact them with details of your particular circumstances if you are at all concerned. :eek:

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

He probably cant watch too much telly because he is still trying to work out what a slingbox device does and why he has two of em?

Graeme

8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

A friend of mine come to think of it (I asked him about it when I saw him today) ran into a problem in "Tesco's" a year or so back- he and his sisters were buying their mum a little telly as a birthday present so when he goes to pay for it-they asked him what address would it be set up at and when he gave his mums address they ran a check and said "There is no TV license listed for this address" and he pointed out his mum is over 80 and therefore doesn't need one- this completely threw the assistant who said his mum would have to come and buy it and bring her birth certificate but as he told them his mum is housebound....massive headscrathing ensued, he ended up saying "Okay it's for me and it'll be set up at my address I might loan it to my mum", which was fine

9. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but a licence covering more TVs does not cost any more, unless I'm reading their website wrongly.

10. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

People still get done for no Public Performance Licence for listening to their own radios at work if it can be heard by customers.