1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware buying TV / DVD etc from Sainsburys...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SteveEM, Oct 14, 2006.

1. SteveEM

SteveEM Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just bought a cheap DVD player from Sainsburys, but after we paid at the till we were TOLD, not asked that we had to fill in a form...strange we thought, so asked more. The assistant said we had to fill it in "by law" and that it was to do with TV licensing. We disputed this and were taken to the customer service counter where the lady there said the same thing...we then noticed the form wanted name, address, phone number etc and was printed with the name of 'Domestic & General Services Ltd'.

We asked both assistants more and were told they had been told to say we needed to fill it in by law. We then asked who 'Domestic & General' were..both women claimed they had no idea. We flatly refused to fill in the form and give our personal information over.

We then checked and discovered that 'Domestic & General' are the UK's largest seller of extenended warranties for electrical appliances...

BEWARE, Sainsburys are LYING to customers in order to get their personal information in order to hand it over to warranty companies...I am going to my trading standards office on Monday...

cheers Steve.

2. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

That's interesting, I remember hearing a similar story a while back about someone buying a tv from a high street store who had to fill in a similar form. They were told it was for TV licensing.

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

..................good for you Steve! :cool:

BigWill

4. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

bought telly from them last year filled in form for licensing pusposes, i have never heard from any insurance company,

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Under UK TV Licensing laws the retailer must submit the details of anyone purchasing a TV receiver, that includes Digital boxes and video recorders, to the licensing authority. This is so that they know if you have bought a TV but not a license. This does not apply to a DVD player.

6. bradalax

bradalax Well-Known Member

Asda did the same thing when we bought a telly from them. Filled the form in but have never received any cold calling or information with regards to it.

7. ChrisBarker

ChrisBarker Well-Known Member

Actually, I think you should have said 'This should not apply to a DVD player'

I have been asked to fill in these sorts of forms when buying things like Laptops (without TV capabilities), DVD players, PC Monitors..... PC World/Dixons/Currys tend to be the worst culprits. Duely two weeks later a form has turned up from TV licencing.

I can understand and accept the necessity of doing it for legitimate things i.e TVs, DVD recorders, Video recorders, but the stores seem to have a blanket policy of 'if it has a screen or hooks up to one, then get the forms out'

Good for you for standing up Steve, a lot of people would have just knuckled under and done it.

8. SteveEM

Hiya,

So even if we had bought a TV..how come the information is being sent to an extended warranty company?

cheers Steve.

9. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Oh? My brother and I bought a portable telly for our mum back in the summer (part of a birthday pressie) and didn't have to provide any such details.

10. j37r

j37r Well-Known Member

I am a TV sevice engineer and installer. Every item we sell at our shop that can be connected to a tv, Sky,VCR,DVD player,DVD Recorders,Surround sound systems with integral DVD player,Freeview,etc has to be detailed and sent to the licencing authorities.

It is up to the retailer to provide this information to the authorities, not the customer!

The licence covers "Colour receiving equipment" so it is not just tv`s, also not many people realise that the standard licence only covers you for a maximum of 3 tv sets in the property.

11. SteveEM

Hi,

How is the information sent to the TV licencing folk? do you have a specific form and is it sent direct to them? or through some other company?

cheers Steve.

12. j37r

j37r Well-Known Member

Hi steve

We send a printout from our computer records. This includes customers name and address,item purchased and date of purchase.

This is sent directly to the licencing authority on a monthly basis, usually at the end of the month in which the item was purchased.

we get into very hot water if we do provide the information.

As I said this is something we have to do, we have never asked customers to fill in forms, we are a small retailer providing sales and sevice, so maybe we operate differently to the big multiples.

13. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

BEWARE: IPC will assist libel lawyers if they come calling... :rolleyes:

14. ahar

ahar Well-Known Member

Not one to stick up for large companies, but it could just be that Sainsbury's use Domestic and General to handle all of the licence forms as an outsourced process (and to nick your details to send you offers of cheap extended warranties :) )

15. TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Re: Beware buying TV / DVD etc from ... and Argos!

A bit harsh on Sainsburys I feel, because other shops do the same - when I bought a portable TV from Argos they also made me fill in a form with my name and address for 'licensing purposes'. However there was some confusion when I said that the TV was not for my personal use but for my son to use at university - the girl on the counter did not know whether I should enter my address or his university address.

Terry.

16. seanb

seanb Well-Known Member

Re: Beware buying TV / DVD etc from ... and Argos!

I had the same thing in Argos when I was buying a VCR for my Grandad - I told them it wasn't for me, but they insisted on having an address. In the end I gave them my address. They were happy - they had an address! If you're a license evader, how hard is it to give a false address? Seems like a waste of paperwork to me.

While I support the BBC, I can't really see how they can justify a compulsory license for all TV owners once the digital switchover happens; since it will then be simple for them to encrypt and force people to pay if they want to watch.

17. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

IIRC, there is a legal obligation on retailers of TVs to acquire names and addresses for licensing purposes. Many people buy a TV and have it delivered so give their details for that purpose and probably aren't aware that the information is also being used elsewhere.

In reality, I don't see the point of it as the TV licensing authority assumes that every household in the UK has a TV and will write to that address demanding to know why if nobody at that address holds a TV license.

18. alphanov

alphanov Well-Known Member

Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967

19. Crunge

Crunge Well-Known Member

TV Licensing appears to be an area where you are guilty until proven innocent. They will harrass you with threatening letters until they gain access to your gaff to perform an inspection in order to ascertain whether you're lying about not having a telly.

20. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

God dont I know it :( I havent had a telly in 7 years but they never let it lie.

Every year they start their red letter process and no matter how you fill it in (properly the first three or four times, as it gets more irritating you start sending it back blank/with/without teabag) they just never give in, they refuse to believe I DO NOT HAVE A F*ING TELLY... :mad: :mad: