1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Telephoto lens 70-300

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by DaveG40, Sep 17, 2017.

1. DaveG40

DaveG40 Well-Known Member

Look to buy a 70-300 and you'd be overwhelmed by choice, regardless of what brand of DSLR you have, and over the years I've had my fair share, I'm currently rebuilding my lens collection, to a lesser state than before, I obviously desire a 70-300 lens, I've had the beercan (overhyped imho), sony 55-200, sigma apo dg macro, Tamron Di LD, and the Tamron USD, in stark contrast to what I've read of all these it's the APO i remember the fondest, yes build quality was horrendous; the gearing stripped just ten days after putting it on a Sony A500. I've now got an A37 (imho a massively under rated budget camera, having previously owned an A77).

Yes the usd is exceptional but it weighs a ton and is huge, that hood alone is as long as the 55-200, mine also made an irritating squealing sound now and again, and then there's the price.

Sony produce the 55-300 and then there's the newer Sigma OS, which has marmite reviews, my question is this, ideally to anyone who's had any of the sigma's mentioned or usd, what did you think of the lenses and image quality, sadly there seems to be no comparison on the net. I'm currently biased towards the APO because it's brand new (returnable if gearing strips) and because of it's past glories

The other question relates to the plastic gearing in the Sony version of the Sigma APO DG MACRO (do other versions also have plastic gearing ?.), you can still buy the APO DG MACRO brand new for just £179 given that it's well over 5 years since my last APO, would it be safe to assume that over time Sigma replaced the plastic gearing for metal, and if not having read a lot of Dyxum reviews SLT's don't seem to have the same problem as the non Slt cameras, or do they ?.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I have the earliest Minolta 75-300mm, this one.
    I've always thought highly of it but it is heavy and may not suit a small camera body
    It's just fine on my a900.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Not a 70-300, there is the Sigma 100-300mm f4 DG EX IF. It's a heavy lens with that constant aperture and it's built like a brick er lavatory;). It is also sharp and has a tripod collar. Read the reviews on Dyxum!

4. DaveG40

DaveG40 Well-Known Member

Spanner in the works time; is it worth considering the like of the Tamron 18-270 PZD, they are a stop slower (f6.3) but at that aperture are they any better or worse than the 70-300's at f6.3 ?.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The wider the zoom range the greater the number of compromises in the design and consequently performance characteristics. Almost certainly worse at f6.3. You don't get anything for nothing!

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sony do a 70-400 in A mount that looks worth a look.

7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Should you have 1800 quid to spare :)

8. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Painful, I know, but my big bro thinks it's the bees knees, the dogs dangles, and several other epithets of that nature.
    It is, apparently, sharp at all focal lengths and apertures, and worth every penny.

Of no interest to me - I have only ever printed one photograph taken at over about 150mm FF, and that was of the Flamingoes on the Larnaca salt lake, which, I am assured, is de rigueur for all photographers in Cyprus.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

That is the full price for the latest version. The earlier version can be bought for half that price in the used market.

As mentioned earlier the Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX Apo DG is sharp throughout with a nice constant aperture and whilst now only available secondhand is a fraction of £1800, it is also very well-built, having been made as a Pro lens.