1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best sites for getting a book published

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Andr2410, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Mike Webb

Mike Webb Member

I can't see the difference between one and more than one - it's either published to the public or not. In my case or not but only in my opinion. I guess every club constitution is therefore published as they are usually available to the public not just members?

You pays your money and makes your choice :)

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Not the case. A book is only published once it has been made available to the public.

3. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Just to clarify. The books I referred to in my earlier post are "normal" books - not photobooks. I do not pay anything to have them published or printed (except for any copies I want for myself). The publisher takes care of placing them for sale with Amazon, Ingrams, iBooks, etc. and also takes care of supplying copies to the UK "Libraries of Legal Deposit".

Photobooks are somewhat different - frequently a photographer will have one or more made up at his/her own expense for personal use (as a rather nice alternative to a box of prints or a folder of computer files). Photobooks made purely for personal use are not considered to be published in the terms of the legal deposit scheme.

Geren likes this.
  4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have just been texting my sister in the States. She has had 2 books published and are for sale on Amazon.co.uk and she had no idea. (unless the publisher did it as a matter of course) I wonder how many actually slip the net?

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

And this was her reply.

"Lol. No idea. Most sales from it are made in the States. Amazon do sell em too. Oh well. It's not a number 1 seller! Hahaha. Catch me!"

Is there a reward for dobbing people in I wonder? :)

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

If everyone who bought books from somewhere like PhotoBox had to send one to the British Library,

a - they'd stop selling them because no one would buy them
    b - the British Library would sink under the weight

Issued to the public has to have a meaning other than 'bought 10 copies for friends and family'.

7. EightBitTony

... also wedding photo books would need to be double the cost, to cover the one the photographer would have to send to the BL as well?

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It does. But from what I remember when I studied publishing at college in the 80s, there is no exact Publishing Law in this country (there are a bunch of other laws that relate to subjects surrounding publishing, such as copyright) and it's hard to pin down a lot of things.

From what I recall, you can print and bind as many copies of a book as you like and it's still not 'published' unless you make it available to the public. That would be a situation wherby *anyone* who wanted to, could buy, borrow or be given a copy of your book. So you could print and bind 5000 copies of your book and tell the whole world that it exists but if you have it locked in a safe in an attic in an underwater castle to which only you have access to...it hasn't been published. On the other hand, if you print and bind 10 copies of your book and put it up for sale on Amazon, you would be legally required to send a copy to the BL because anyone with access to Amazon *could* purchase it. If you have uploaded the book to a site that can take orders, and which advertises the sale of your book, even if only friends and family happen to buy it, it is still considered 'available to' the public. And so has been published. If you have uploaded your book to a site that allows you to then purchase copies of it to give to friends and family, and nobody else has the ability to find it and order it, then it has not been published. It all depends on whether or not the wider public could access it to purchase/borrow/be given. If someone uploaded their book to an online print service and ordered 5000 copies which they then went on to sell on Ebay, Amazon or a market stall...it could be considered published at the point at which it became available for the public to buy. But whether the online print service is legally obliged to tell the BL if orders of a certain size have been made I don't know. Such things didn't exist while I was studying this. I do know that I could sell my self-published limited edition of one book that I made as part of my degree this year because the act of selling it is not what makes it 'published'.

Disclaimer: I studied this a long time ago. Things may be different now!

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

Lots snipped - but that makes sense to me. If you publish minutes of a meeting to the members of that meeting only, and no one else has any, the BL can't surely demand any. However, if you make those minutes available on request to the public, then the BL is entitled to a copy as well.

Basically, the BL counts as a 'member of the public' with the special right of 'getting it for free'.

10. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

I have worked in to print industry for the past 40 years and the last 10 in a company that prints self-publish books and I'm pretty sure that none of the 1000s of customers and my boss would know anything about this :confused:

11. sagamore

sagamore Well-Known Member

I didn't know about it when I paid for 500 copies of my first book, but they eventually found out, and I had to send them 6. It didn't have an ISBN number either, so I don't know how they found out. Nowadays, I just send the compulsory one to the British Library and hope the others don't find out, but they always do, and demand their copies pretty soon after the BL gets theirs, so I feel sure that the BL tells them. If anyone in the US sells a book, they would not have to send one to the British Library because it is a different country! E-books sold via Amazon to buyers in the US, have US income tax deducted (by Amazon) and I find that is a real cheek, although it doesn't affect me, because I market the books myself via my blog and Ebay.
    Bob