1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best practice for posting to Appraisals?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by andymcd, Jan 8, 2017.

1. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

Couple of specific questions about how best to present work for Appraisal:

1. Size of picture - I generally resize to 1200 (long edge) before uploading to Flickr, then post to the Appraisal forum at about 800 - which allows someone to click through to the larger one if they want to. Are these sizes okay, or should I be uploading/posting at bigger size (I'm shooting 16MP Fuji X)?
    2. Finishing of picture - should I add borders etc. to show how I might envisage that a print would be displayed if I think it would influence how the picture would be viewed (I'm basing this of some feedback given to Oleg on his Eiffel Tower picture).

My goal at this stage is to get to a standard where I would be comfortable showing pictures at club level, and possibly entering club competitions.

Any pointers/advice will be gratefully received.

Andy

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think you might have misunderstood the phrase framing the image. It would have been meant in terms of composition and what is in 'the frame' as you compose the image.

You can upload an image directly from your own drive now, so you can resize to 800pix along the longest measurement on your computer then upload it direct.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Somewhere there is a guide for posting to Appraisal that gives the max file sizes. I seem to remember 800px was the max length so you're fine.

As for framing. Well, in the case of Oleg's image I did indeed add a border because I felt this was an image that needed it. I'd argue that most don't. The lines of the Eiffel tower were leaking out all over the place and the shot felt like it needed something to contain it and make sense of it. Usually I would argue that if a shot can't stand up on its own without the addition of frames and borders then it can't stand up at all, but there are obviously exceptions. Wtih Oleg's shot, I think there will be some people who won't think it was worth messing with but I liked it. These things are very subjective. Ordinarily I wouldn't bother adding a frame when posting on here - aside from anything else, the border is included in your max number of pixels which makes the image itself much smaller. Certainly, many images will benefit from being framed for exhibition but you're not exhibiting them in the Appraisal gallery really so it's not usually necessary. Unless of course, the appraisal you are after is a discussion of the most appropriate framing.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

1. Flickr's own resizing can cause artefacts so I think it is best to resize to max side length 800 pix then upload. If working from Lightroom it is a doddle to set up a publish collection. i now size all my images like that as they are big enough for my purpose (quick subject index) and reduces their usefulness to anyone who may wish to misuse them.

2. Most don't add borders. Some images can look better with them, usually if there is no clear "edge" as in the case of large areas of white near the edge, but a border doesn't look the same as a mount.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I think that a border can make a picture, especially a fine black line around a high key image. Do you remember Ilford's house style for the pictures in their magazine and brochures from the 1990s?