1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best locations in chamonix?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by vixvix92, Aug 30, 2014.

1. vixvix92

vixvix92 New Member

In a week I will be heading to chamonix, I will have 2 days by myself and I'd like to spend them with my camera. I've never been before so have no idea where is and isn't worthwhile capturing. Can anyone recommend anywhere? I like landscape and nature photographyy....

Thanks!

2. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Two days isn't long enough, two weeks isn't long enough! A lot will depend on the weather but assuming its good and you're fit and kitted out for some trekking then I'd recommend the following, basically they take you along both sides of the Chamonix valley:

1. Plan de l'Aiguille - Montenvers, take the Aiguille du Midi cable car to Plan de L'Aiguille then walk to Montenvers/Mer de Glace (about 3 hours) then back down to Chamonix either walking (another 3 hours) or take the train. You could go all the way to the top of the Aiguille du Midi before doing the walk but you'll need some warmer clothes, if you're outside taking photos it will probably be about -6. The return cablecar from Chamonix to the Aiguille du Midi is about 50 euros.

2. Plan Praz to La Flegere, take the cablecar from Chamonix to Plan Praz and walk along to La Flegere for views across the valley towards Mont Blanc and a whole bunch of L'Aiguilles that you would be walking along in the first walk. In this walk there are various diversions you can make to a couple of small lakes but again it depends on the weather and your fitness.

Alternatively, you could take a parapente! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI4Rp9Hubbw#t=26

Some tips:

First thing to do in Chamonix is visit the tourist office and get an much info from them as possible, everyone there speaks excellent English!

If you're staying in Chamonix then you should be given a Carte d'Hote (guest card) which will give you free travel on the buses, very useful - http://www.chamonix.net/english/transport/bus.

Buy a map, carry water, wear suncream and make sure there's a packet of Compeed blister plasters in your first aid kit. As landscape photography is your thing its worth checking out Photographie Alpine (Avenue Michel Croz) and a very good bookshop Maison De La Presse (Rue Doc Paccard).

Chamonix is really close to the mountains so its possible to get some landscapes from the town itself, including Les Bossons Glacier! And look out for the colour changes in Les Aiguilles as the sun goes down.

Alan.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014