1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best lightroom presets (portraits)

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Mikardo88, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Mikardo88

Mikardo88 Active Member

I recently purchased the VSCO film pack 01. I'm really pleased with it and find the presets fun to use and most look great. does anyone else have any preset packs they reccomend?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not really. I sometimes try an adobe supplied imitation preset and I marginally prefer (Adobe version of) Astia over Adobe default as the starting point for Fuji landscapes. Occasionally Velvia or, for Canon landscape if the scene suits.

3. dan marchant

dan marchant Active Member

I did get a VSCO "film" pack but onlt liked a couple and quickly realised that I could make my own... so that is what I did.

4. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Like Dan, I save my own. But don't fall into the trap of expecting pre-sets to provide ultimate solutions. At best, they are a starting point for further detailed adjustments according to the individual image.

5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I try to avoid presets for portraits in their entirety through the careful expedient of colouring my model's face in using felt tip pens to achieve the desired effect.

To emulate the heavier-grained films I'll sometimes take this process a step further by gluing Rice Crispies to her face as well.

Cheers, Jeff

dan marchant likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

If we're talking Lightroom presets, they're text files which describe exactly what they're doing to the image, and whether it's absolute (i.e. set contrast to 76) or whether it's relative (i.e. increase contrast by 5). It can be useful to read the text files to understand how the effect is being achieved, but given there's only a certain number of sliders in Lightroom, and all images start out different(*), I don't think there's any Lightroom preset which will always give the same result.

(*) not withstanding images shot in identical lighting situations, with the same gear, and the same subject.

Here's the meat of the preset I use when importing images into Lightroom.

s = {
    title = "Auto Tone / Fix Lens / Pop",
    type = "Develop",
    value = {
    settings = {
    AutoTone = true,
    Clarity2012 = 25,
    EnableColorAdjustments = true,
    EnableLensCorrections = true,
    LensProfileEnable = 1,
    LensProfileSetup = "LensDefaults",
    Saturation = 10,
    Vibrance = 15, },
    uuid = "randomstring",
    },
    version = 0,
    }

Sets clarity to 25, vibrance to 15, saturation to 10, corrects for the relevant lens, and then auto-tones the image (which gives me a first stab and is easy to undo).

I've got a bunch of free pre-sets which I play with from time to time, but I mostly use them to work out how to achieve an effect, and then do it manually (since every image has a different starting place).

Molly Cuper likes this.
  7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I guess what I'm saying is that - rather than talk about presets, talk about processing techniques and what they do. For example, understanding what the clarity slider does in Lightroom, and how it affects an image, and the impact of that image is more important than having a preset called 'Add Structure'.

And likewise for every other slider / setting.

8. Joysy

Joysy New Member