1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best lens for landscapes

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by matteoj, Aug 14, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yep, I know that - but the OP doesn't say 'I've been out shooting with my macro lens and I don't like the resulting focal length'.

Basically, there are 40+ lenses that could fit the request, from a range of vendors. No single lens is best, no single lens is worst. Some are better than others in the same price point, some are worse than others in the same price point. Some identical lenses are better and worse than each other despite nominally being the same.

15-85mm offers 15-85mm. 18-250mm offers 18-250mm. Tamron's new insane zoom offers 18-400, doesn't get much more flexible than that. But people will chip and say there are compromises in any zoom, and the wider the range the greater the compromises. Except we don't know if @matteoj minds that or not. We don't know anything.

2. EightBitTony

@matteoj have you been out and about with your 60mm lens and found you can't take the shots you want? Has it stopped you taking shots, or have you found you don't like the results?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. matteoj

matteoj Member

Awsome tip! However I've also enquired about something for shooting out and about around the city - an all rounder if you like. The angle on the one I'm using is a bit of a problem - you just can't zoom out far enough to get everything you want in the picture.

4. EightBitTony

So new, the EF-S 15-85mm is ~£600 give or take £50.

But in that range, there are literally 40 choices, covering combinations from 15mm up to 250mm, 270mm, 300mm and beyond.

There's a potentially very large difference between a £300 lens, and a £600 lens, what's your budget?

5. matteoj

matteoj Member

Hi. Yes, to give a specific example I recently needed to shoot some shelter buildings in a forest - you know those little shelters people make from branches.

I literally couldn't get them in without walking back by which time I was too far away. I'm just looking for an all round lens for a total novice like me with a bit more flexibility.

6. EightBitTony

And your budget?

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Too far away how? To get the whole shelter in frame with the macro lens is just a matter of walking back far enough until it fills the frame thereabout - of course that does assume you can walk back far enough. Or were you trying to get the shelter a reasonable size in the frame while retaining a more expansive view of the background which is where a wider angle lens comes in handy?

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Problem with forests and walking backwards, you invariably get another tree in your way. ;)

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  9. matteoj

matteoj Member

Around £300 I guess.

10. matteoj

matteoj Member

Very true. I did manage to snap this cheeky dragonfly though...[​IMG]

11. EightBitTony

12. matteoj

matteoj Member

Brilliant. Thanks so much.

13. Tinki

Tinki Member

I would recommend look into Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM. II's biggest drawback as a landscape lens is the lack of image stabilization. But it delivers the best image quality you will get in a zoom lens in this focal length range - it is very impressive. Shoot from a tripod and you will not need image stabilization. The f/2.8 aperture will allow you to get more creative with subject isolation/background blur, but that extra glass adds to the carry weight of this lens. But unfortunately 24-70L II also carries a weighty price tag.

14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I assume you are using an APS-C DSLR, so a 'wide angle' lens will probably be somewhere between 10 mm and 23 mm (15 to 35 on a camera with a 'full size' sensor). The Canon 10 - 18 mm lens (see above) has been well reviewed, but you could do what I did and get a secondhand Sigma 10 - 20 mm (old model, also well reviewed) for the price of a new Canon lens. My lens has a glass Neutral Density graduated filter attached for all outdoor use (with a wide angle lens you will often have a lot of sky in the shot). The attached image was taken with the Sigma on its 10 mm setting, with the ND graduated filter attached. Apart from a 0.2 degree rotation to level the horizon, this is a 'straight from the camera' JPEG with no adjustments made to colour, contrast, etc,.

Do you want to go this wide?

_IGP0578X.jpg