1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best City for photographers?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Grace Deane, Oct 17, 2016.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I for one can't wait to go back to Tokyo and Kyoto. One day hopefully.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

That ruling seems very sad. I wonder if it's because it's so dark inside, and flash is so often used. Do they offer a permit for photography? Whenever I find rules like this, my normal response is to go elsewhere, whereas if photography is permitted, I spend far too much in their souvenir shops. My home is cluttered with books bought in Liverpool Cathedral!
    On the other hand, I remember being pounced on in Southwark Cathedral simply because I had a camera hanging from my neck - we went elsewhere, and there's plenty to see nearby.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

..and Jesus said, "suffer not those with cameras to enter into my house for lo! They might take pictures and thus take from my servants' pockets money which may go to my servants' annual bonus and that would be A Bad Thing."

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Just for the record the Churches and Cathedrals in Zurich have a blanket ban on photography, which is a great pity as there is some lovely glass there that would be well worth a substantial permit fee. I have only tried one in Germany - that was the Aachen Dom - and that allows photography for the surprisingly small fee of 1Euro if you like gold encrusted interiors it's worth the train fare

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Last time I was there I got a wee permit which even allowed tripod use, which was essential for what I was doing...

[​IMG]Southwark Cathedral (3) by Zou san, on Flickr

6. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Durham continues to provide free entry, although I think that may be under review. This guarantees umpteen visitors and I guess they are trying to get a balance between reasonable access for pagans such as myself and the religious purpose of the building. They have also arranged evening photo shoots within the cathedral. I missed the last one, and don't know if more are being considered. You can carry a camera to the top of the tower (fee applies and currently closed for long term maintenance) from where you get spectacular views over the city.

You can get a photo pass for special occasions and are issued with a sash to wear indicating that you have the permission to take photos.

www.flickr.com/photos/bryanattewell/2068995843/

Finally there is a cafe and I suspect that provides a good income stream, I generally pay my dues there....

Our elder son spent the last few years living in NYC, and that's a cracking location for photography. Best seen in Spring and Autumn when the colours are magical and the weather pleasant. A good start would be Brooklyn Botanic gardens in the Spring and Central Park in the autumn, but so many great locations.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  7. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Come to York. You can take pictures in the Minster. They will however charge you an entry fee!

RogerMac and Done_rundleCams like this.
  8. I find Manchester, especially the Northern Quarter creates really great photos. especially a good back drop for fashion photography.

9. TheAlex

TheAlex Well-Known Member

Probably London. It's walkable and there are so many interesting famous (and not-so-famous) sites to photograph, as well as all sorts of other things. Different regions of London have their own character, and it's easy to get away from the noise in one of the many photogenic parks. I also enjoy photographing street art in context, so Stavanger in Norway was a nice surprise recently. Bergen and Edinburgh are very photogenic, and get plus points for walkable hills that have a sense of wilderness.

Next month I'm visiting Paris for the first time...

Done_rundleCams and PMurrell like this.
  10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Some of us have York cards that allow free entry

11. JoesJollies

JoesJollies New Member

Lincoln is nice. There are plenty of historic buildings. I went to York recently, but did not have time for many photos. London is good; you can get decent photos from along the River Thames.

12. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Well-Known Member

Ive visited Verona in Italy several times and always enjoyed my photography there. Get the train to Venice in an hour and 15 at a cost of 8Eu and another spectacular place. Sirmione on Lake Garda is 40 mins on the bus at a cost of 3 Eu and you got the making of a very good holiday. Flights can be had on all budget airlines. Most I paid was £60 return from Manchester.

Zou likes this.
  13. ettiphotography

ettiphotography New Member

Las Vegas is beautiful city to click photos of any kind. I love to capture nature and sceneries of Las Vegas.

14. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

Mumbai. Something crazy, colourful and photogenic on every street corner.

15. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Ah, but it is worth it! ( and BTW the York card still costs a fiver although there are some exemptions) :) Some ID with a York address on it will also get you in for free.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  16. secretpost

secretpost Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but every place has its own beauty. It depends on the preference of the photographer and how well can s/he takes good pictures in a certain location.

17. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Malcolm, did you try asking for a permit? Most (famous) Cathedrals in my experience are charging an admission fee these days and are only too happy to charge another one for a tripod permit. The only downside is that you may need to visit outside normal hours. Health & Safety and all that. Cheers, Oly

18. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Personal choice would be Edinburgh and Florence . Edinburgh at festival time is a joy for people watching and Florence likewise, not only the people but also the obvious tourist and cultural haunts.

Done_rundleCams and RogerMac like this.
  19. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Venice is fantastic for photography.

20. Valerie

Valerie New Member