1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best City for photographers?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Grace Deane, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

By which I meant the Glasgow one, not the Russian ones. According to a local newspaper article it's made of glass-reinforced plastic. It still looks rather marvellous glinting in the sun.

RogerMac likes this.
  2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Roger.
    In fact I think that you are being generous is ascribing that 1/15 of Arles population, Of course a lot depends on the date - in Summer it might well be higher but I doubt that the year round population is that high. Of course if you count week-enders like me that pushes it up a bit. Technically it's a town with a town council and a lovely Guild Hall but if it were not for its long history I rather suspect it would rate as a village. Before parliamentary reform it was a rotten borough, I am rather proud of the fact that my cottage is within the old boundary.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If I can tear myself away from Edinburgh next August I will come over and have a look.

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Speaking of Moscow, whilst I've never been, I saw a slide show (on the internet) of their subway stations
    and they were, to say the least, spectacular :)

Cheers,

Jack

5. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I go through to Glasgow for a day or two every August . . . . just for some respite :(

Alan

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Jack,

Yes, they really are stunning; or were -- I've not been there in 25 years.

But St. Petersburg is (or was) a much more attractive city.

Cheers,

R. m

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  7. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

8. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

When traveling abroad I've particularly liked Brugge, Luxor, Kuala Lumpur & Sydney in addition to some of those already mentioned.
    In general though I do more photography out of town.

9. Done_rundleCams

Sadly, Roger, I've been to neither :(

Cheers,

Jack

10. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Birmingham England...and overseas, any of them where there is a nice pub....

11. Done_rundleCams

Hard to disagree with that, I_T, although my preference is a cafe with windows ;) or a pub that serves Pelligrino, with a nice patio :D
    But, never been to Birmingham….. yet :D

Cheers,

jack

12. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Birmingham has more canals than Venice.....but that's debatable, there's only one but it goes all over the place....I don't know how many pubs there are but I am still working on that one! and here's one not to miss, this is the oldest from the 1600s.....The Old Crown. The Old Crown,Digbeth Birmingham.jpg

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I was in Moscow in around 1982 and only a young lad and was blown away by the subway there. As I recall it was like walking through an art gallery.

14. Done_rundleCams

PMurrell likes this.
  15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Has to be Tokyo for me - plenty to shoot, plus all the great camera shops and photography culture/exhibitions. Kyoto is prettier and Osaka more relaxed but Tokyo keeps drawing me back.

16. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Had a chance of a freebie there about 10 years ago but couldn't make it.... Always regretted it as it looks a great place.

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There's no best city. Wherever you are, there's pictures to take and stories to tell.

PMurrell and Done_rundleCams like this.
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

True, but it's easy to hit a rut with a place you know. New places can inspire not just new images but a new awareness. That's one of the things I like about Tokyo - it's just so big and if you feel like you've done say Shibuya to death, go to Asakusa or Ueno instead. Same with any big city really, small ones to a lesser extent too. Edinburgh has old and new towns, Stockbridge, Leith, Holyrood Park etc.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I agree. On the other hand, even a small town, even a rural community, can provide ever new opportunities, if you keep looking at things from different angles. I'm not saying you shouldn't go abroad but if you can't, that doesn't need to limit you.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Absolutely, but I think variety helps to keep us attuned to those different angles at home.