1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best City for photographers?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Grace Deane, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Grace Deane

Grace Deane Well-Known Member

What is your favourite city to take photographs in?

swati and Done_rundleCams like this.
  2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Istanbul, of ones that I've been to.

3. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Marrakech worked for me.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Certainly did, you had some crackers from Marrakech.

5. hotwenxynt

hotwenxynt In the Stop Bath

Closer to home, I find York. (out of the tourist season). Durham, (Where I live) It is like York but smaller and more intimate. It's a pity that you are not allowed to take pictures in the Cathedral, but there is much more than that. Then there is Newcastle upon Tyne. With the latter the quayside always attracts me and is only a short walk from the station. I cannot think of a time when I never returned with something worth while from the quayside and the old achitecture of the river banks. A photographic goldmine.

Wheelu likes this.
  6. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Hi Nick,

I've only recently discovered Ara Güler, there's a nostalgic quality to his photographs. I've never been to Istanbul so I've no idea if it still looks like this, I particularly like his colour work.

Alan

PMurrell and Benchista like this.
  7. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

As always with the caveat of "within my limited experience", I would say that my favourite foreign cities for photography are Reykjavik, Seattle and Jaipur.

Nearer home, I love both Edinburgh and London, having undertaken 24-hour photoshoots in both. (Basically wandering around the streets, throughout an entire 24-hour period, catching the cities in all of their moods.) The London one was organised by Nikon, the Edinburgh one I organised for my meet-up group.

Grace Deane likes this.
  8. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Thanks Nick, that's very kind. It was a fascinating place. Obviously when we visit `exotic` locations it always seems awe inspiring especially if there is a major culture difference but closer to home I always think London is such a great place to photograph. Such a big world and so little time is the problem.

Grace Deane likes this.
  9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Which ever city, town, village, hamlet or place/area I happen to find myself in, including the No-Fun City :eek::)

Cheers,

Jack

Wheelu and Geren like this.
  10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm with Jack on this one...wherever I happen to be. I admit I'm not terribly 'well travelled' not having had the time or the funds to go to as many places as I'd have liked but Paris, Berlin, Munich, London, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Naples, York, Newcastle, local villages and towns have all provided inspiration at one time or another. Places with train stations especially so for some reason!

Done_rundleCams and Gezza like this.
  11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Arles. Especially during the Rencontres.

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/arles 2008.html

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/arles 2009.html

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/arles 2010.html

Generally I prefer smaller towns and cities but Delhi is pretty amazing (or was -- I haven't been there in years). So's Darjeeling. In fact, so is most of India. I didn't like Istanbul but I got a lot of good pictures there. Malta is great: Valetta is good, but the whole island is probably smaller than Greater London. A great advantage of Malta is that you can often get silly-cheap short-notice package holidays.

Cheers,

R.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I knew there was something I liked about you Geren ;) and, regarding trains / train stations: Yep, shooting on the trains, from the trains, in the train stations, basically, anywhere ;) some examples from a train trip from Vancouver to Winnipeg in January 2014 :) the same, for me, goes for any mode of transportation and wherever we stop -- luckily, I don't drive so i get to shoot as a passenger :D Cheers, Jack

Attached Files:

AlanW and Geren like this.
  13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sorry Alan, been meaning to thank you for that. Most of it is pretty similar, but sadly the old Galata Bridge is long gone.

14. Grace Deane

Grace Deane Well-Known Member

Yes I would agree London is great city for photographers! I went to Thailand over the summer and found Chiang Mai to be great as you capture their culture. Also New York is a favourite of mine when I have my camera

15. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Is Arles a city? If that's allowed I will nominate Lyme Regis

Seriously though not Edinburgh, because I am so busy doing other things that when I am there I usually ignore my cameras .and have to make an effort to take pictures - even though I have taken a lot of good ones whilst there. In fact I think my favourite city for photos is York, I do have a yearning to see Tashkent but I am not really expecting to fill that ambition. Bruges and its Michaelangelo also enter the list and do not forget St Petersburg and Moscow with their golden domes.

Edit: The mausoleum of the Stroganoffs (? spelling) in Moscow should be on everybody's bucket list

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Done_rundleCams and Geren like this.
  16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

We have a golden dome in Glasgow...at the Gurdwara Singh Sabha!

Done_rundleCams and RogerMac like this.
  17. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Real gold? The Russian ones are

18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I doubt it. I'm fairly sure they're plastic!

19. Roger Hicks

Dear Roger,

Well, it's been a city for over 2000 years, and has a population of over 50,000, so I don't think Lyme Regis (with about 1/15 of the population) is quite in the same class. Also, where are the cathedral, the arena, the antique theatre, the Templar headquarters, the Roman baths, etc., in Lyme Regis?

Cheers,

R.

20. Roger Hicks

Dear Roger,

Surprisingly many -- perhaps most -- golden domes are, in fact, real gold. Gold leaf is not all that expensive, and is of course extremely corrosion resistant.

Cheers,

R.