1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best camera on ship??

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by kerry ward, Jul 3, 2017.

1. kerry ward

kerry ward New Member

Hi everyone I am looking to upgrade to a dslr or bridge camera and take my photography to the next level, I am in the merchant navy so looking for a camera that will take a good clear photo when the ship is rolling in rough seas. I take a lot of photos of sport/ ruins photography so if anybody can recommend something suitable it would be much appreciated. I have a budget of around £500-£600

2. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

At that price point, with weather sealing, ( more expensive models have image stabilisation on chip), Pentax K50 looks to meet your requirements, not sure if IS is on chip this far down the range.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Pentax K50 - "Innovative In-body Shake Reduction (SR) Mechanism. The PENTAX in-body, sensor-shift Shake and Dust Reduction technology ensures sharp, image stabilized, auto-leveled, and dust-free imaging with any mounted lens."

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The image stabilisation used in cameras is aimed at damping the high frequency "shake" associated with tremor in the hands. Getting sharp photographs when there is translational movement of subject or camera or both is more about selecting a short enough exposure tIme and technique. The main point about cameras is to get one you feel comfortable holding. The makers compete to match each other model by model so at a given price point there is not so much technically between them but they can "feel" different and some people like one but not another. The other important choice is lenses. Most cameras come in a kit that include a standard zoom of 18-55 mm. The short end (18) is a moderate wide angle which will be useful for ruins - assuming you meant buildings - the longer end (55) is not that useful for sport. There was a discussion in another thread about focal length and sport, it depends how far you are away from the action. Up to 50 m or so then a 140 mm lens on a standard dslr (200 mm 35 mm equivalent) is good but longer away you need something longer. Cameras and salt water are not terribly good companions. As said above Pentax have made something of offering "weatherproofing" on their cameras and there are some videos showing them being rinsed under taps (not something I would do) but whether that applies to the bottom range models I don't know.

5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

...and, while on a ship, think twice about following the usual advice about always using a tripod. The engine vibrations transmitted through the deck and up the tripod legs will be more of a problem than hand-held camera shake in many instances.

6. Tinki

Tinki Member

I guess the choice depends on whether you're actually using the features of the bridge camera or not in terms of the zoom range. If you're not, then it's bulk that you don't have to carry and you can get something smaller which does the same job in effect, or something that's about the same size which is a lot better.
    The Powershot S120 is a compact camera with a larger sensor than that you'll find in most bridge cameras. Larger sensor with the same level of technological development in sensor = better image. It has a respectable 5x zoom range and will fit in your pocket, meaning it has a better chance of going everywhere with you.
    If you do want to experiment with interchangeable lenses and take greater control over your photos down the line, I'd say the E-PL7 is a much better one, and not hugely different in terms of price compared to the E-PM2 for example.

7. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Well-Known Member

Compact camera systems are good.. Small enough to fit in limited baggage, and changeable lenses. Ive just purchased a Olympus Pen E-PM1. Its old but good. Quickest auto focus ive seen. Nice and compact with the lens removed. Ive bought a ND filter (39mm) for it for some long exposures and its good to go. Plenty of options. I think Fuji do a really good one but cant remember the model xp-1???