1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beep beep alarm

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember my frustration about being woken at 2.30am by an alarm going off? Then I could not find it?

Well, I have now found it. It is my darned weather station in my livingroom, the one that tells me the time, the pressure, the moon phases etc. I didn't even know it had an alarm!! My next door neighbour has her daughter and kids staying and it was the daughter who heard it last night! That's what made me do another search. Hopefully I've turned the darned thing off now! It had two settings 2.30am and 5am. No wonder my night time trips were regular!

Kate

Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My wife told me that the radio in the kitchen kept coming on and was really freaking her out. It came on again when she had friends over. Two of her friends are really into the supernatural and all other sorts of weird and wonderful things. They both told her that it is quite common for ghosts to do that and is apparantly a good sign you have a ghost in your house.

She told me so I had a look. At some point someone had pressed a button on the remote. It had 2 alarms set, lol.

I am sure those 2 women will probably think a ghost set the alarm.

Anyway Kate, glad you got it sorted.

Catriona likes this.
  3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Years ago when I would visit my granny, the key fob for my car would set off the next door neighbour's door bell when I pressed it. :D

Catriona likes this.
  4. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

We've got a weather station with an alarm. The only time it goes off is when the atmospheric pressure is really low. Always seem to be the middle of the night!

Catriona likes this.
  5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

On Sunday evening, completely out of the blue, my Amazon Echo suddenly said the word 'steeple'.

I immediately asked "Alexa, why did you just say that?"

At least she had the good grace to sound embarrassed as she replied "I'm sorry, I don't know what I've just said."

Cheers, Jeff

Learning and Catriona like this.
  6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If someone would invent a weather station that monitored the cloud cover just before dawn and only woke me up when the skies were clear I would buy one, install it in the cottage and go and watch the sun rising from the Dorset cliffs on clear days.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  7. Catriona

My one actually does indicate cloud cover!

8. Catriona

Yes, this one has two alarms too. I just hope when the alarm is off, that it means both are OFF!

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

But does it miss out cloudy days?

Catriona likes this.
  10. Catriona

Of course it does! I've had the most glorious weather here for what seems like ages. Getting a little cloudy today, but I've been digging my garden and also got the washing dry outside, so I'm not complaining - yet!
    I've had the weather station for years. It seems to be an MsF station. Cloud or not is shown at the top. Actually the best weather website (as it happens) is the one the Port Authority shared recently. Tells it all!
    https://weatherfile.com/?loc_id=GBR00019

This gives me the weather stats brilliantly!

11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

My sister in law has (or at least had) an alarm clock that woke you up with very convincing bird song.

One day her son and his wife came to stay, and found that it went off far too early. They couldn't work out how to turn it off, so they stuck it in the bottom of the bedroom closet, with pillows on top. But they could STILL hear it.

This was because they were hearing the real dawn chorus. They'd never stayed in her new house at the right time of year before.They were in their twenties or (very) early thirties, I think.

Cheers,

R.

LesleySM and Catriona like this.
  12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

We've got loads of stopwatches in our physics labs, unfortunately they're general purpose thingies with alarm settings, Every so often one of the kids will (Accidentally?) set the alarm and I'll have to track down the offending article and de-select the alarm.

Thinks.....I could do with a weather station with a cloud cover reading. Never mind the day, that can be as cloudy as it likes so long as the night is clear. Not had much if either lately.

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

We have pigeons.
    A local farmer also has pigeons and also one of those gas powered bird scareres. It starts at dawn so not too bad now but in a month's time?