1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beavers to be introduced to the Forest of Dean

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Press releases are heralding the release of four beavers in a secured area in the Forest of Dean, and as we'd expect, the press release goes on to praise the good that the beavers will do for ecology, environment etc. My main interest is bird photography, and know nothing about beavers, but I am troubled by the very positive tone of the Press Release. If beavers are as good as they now claim, we must be very foolish not to have had them working for us decades ago. What am I missing?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Only the positive aspects of an organisation's own actions are recorded in its press releases.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

This is distressingly unambitious. What about introducing tigers to Conservative Party Headquarters?

Come to think of it, though, that's not fair to tigers. Hezza might strangle them with his bare hands, or they might be poisoned by eating Gove. Or indeed thry might starve from trying to digest Redwood: Vulcan proteins are not digestible by earth creatures.

Cheers,

R.

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

They tend to turn woodland into swampy pools that is difficult to use for much else. except for other wild life.... but that is the idea.
    It also hinders rain run off.....

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Because no-one thought of it until recently.
    Because many people are terrified of the unknown.
    I suspect they would lead to an increase in the bird population by increasing the number of insects such as mosquitoes.

S

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Nice beavers

peterba likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Definitely much less of a nuisance than mink and assuming these are Eurasian beavers they're native Britons anyway.

8. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

They were hunted to local extiction by greedy short-sighted scumbags.

Trannifan, saxacat, Zou and 2 others like this.
  9. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Have you been watching re-runs of Naked Gun...? ;)

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Peter,

No. Those were all shot.

(To those slower than Peter: think about it. Beaver... shot)

Cheers,

R.

11. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Cue xenophobic rant by the Wail, muttering about European immigrants, or unpatriotic expats.

Trannifan and steveandthedogs like this.
  12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The introduction of mink to the wild in Britain is a disaster for much of our wildlife. On private stretches of water they can be dealt with by whatever methods the water bailifs find effective. Around here we have problems along the Granthem Canal. The matter has been become public and so everything has to be done by the book.
    It is not clear whether mink escaped from mink farms, that should not have been allowed in the first place, or were released from such farms by well meaning but ignorant and stupid members of animal right organisations.Perhaps it doesn't now matter who was to be blame. Mink have no native predator and should be killed in Britain by whatever methods are available to whoever is prepared to do the deed.

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Just a thought and not quite the same but the Wolves eradicated by man from the Yellowstone National Park were reintroduced with great success.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Wolves have been seen as as a solution for excess deer in Scotland. My gut feeling (but I trust feelings from my brain more than those from my guts), is that we might be a better predator of deer than wolves. We raise much livestock for meat at extreme cost. Why not use wild meat instead of beef. ? I like venison. I also like rabbit which in most ways is regarded as vermin. I have even eaten grey squirrel at a pub not too far from here. Very nice, but has the expense of requiring two squirrel per person. The squirrel was a bit of an uneconomic novelty.
    Bambi steak, Bugs rear legs and tufty squirrel; what's not to like?

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Let's hope the beavers fell the right trees!

16. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

For some reason I think I've seen a TV program about the succesful introduction in Scotland. Can't think when or in what context unless it was in Countryfile at some point. The "why not before" question can only come from seeing the result of successful trials. Going first in anything is quite hard.

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

18. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

See what I mean about"terrified of the unknown"? Get up there man!

And take your camera, don't forget.

S

19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Last time I was over that was to collect the bairn from the Benmore outdoor education place and get her to a National (GB) gymnastics competition and my phone battery made it about as far as getting me through Glasgow and then I didn't even have a paper map. That was an adventure finding that place with little more than a hunch and a few mental notes:D

Afraid of the unknown?
    overtoun-2.jpg

Nah, it makes me want to go:D http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mystery-600-dogs-jump-haunted-5941044

I wasn't quick enough to get a pic of both my dogs up at the wall but they both had a look over the bit other dogs have allegedly jumped from.

That's on the way to the beavers too;)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  20. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

You can watch them on the Tay, just outside Perth. Marvellous beasties. There used to be a brilliant wee dam against the railway line just north of Gleneagels but it ended up being removed.

Graeme

daft_biker and steveandthedogs like this.