1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beautiful abandoned places...

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by Mojo_66, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Love the piano, wonder if it still plays?

2. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

The piano picture just needs Miss Haversham to complete it.

3. andyjacko

andyjacko Active Member

I would love to have a look around some of those abandoned buildings. Amazing pictures.

4. Mojo_66

Me too, nothing quite so interesting around here.

5. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

There are places in the world like this with no access - like a whole airport with abandoned planes and buildings in Cypress.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I don't like to see stained glass, intricate plasterwork, or sculpted stone wasted. Buy all means destroy redundant buildings and reuse the space. Get the stuff of value out first. I was pleased to see that the pipes from the organ had been removed; hopefully they ended up with an organ builder so the tin rich metal was processed into new pipes. If the instrument had been a decent chamber instrument then it is sad that the whole instrument had not been removed and restored.

7. Mojo_66

My money's on the first bloke who turned up with a pick-up.

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Maybe you are right but even if a scrap dealer got them then ultimately they might still have ended up in the right place. Purifying the components of the alloy is expensive; far cheaper to just adjust the ratio of the components and re-use for the same purpose. A lot of organ components have been moved to Eastern Europe since the fall of the Soviet Union.

9. Mojo_66

It would be nice to think so, they could have years left in them.

10. skellum

skellum Well-Known Member

Some extraordinary places, but why the need to render so many in gaudy HDR? They begin to look just like the artificial, virtual landscapes of video games. Shame.

11. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

You mean lancs or the uk?

These are my poor attempts at exploring, imagine what the really serious guys can find :)

(by the way a quick google search of Urbex Lancashire throws up some interesting stuff)

[​IMG]
    Back at Hartwood by Caledonia84, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Somewhere I shouldn't be..... by Caledonia84, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Polphail, Ghost town by Caledonia84, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Reclaimed by Caledonia84, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Underneath Glasgow by Caledonia84, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    derelict 13 by Caledonia84, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    The chair by Caledonia84, on Flickr

12. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

13. TheAlex

TheAlex Well-Known Member

14. NickM

NickM Member

I love the "underneath Glasgow" shot. And your squirrel photos are fantastic.

15. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

Some lovely atmospheric photos , the only one that's a bit of a fake in the ' Abandoned theme ' is the Eilean Donan [ Dornie Castle ] , apart from being a bit dark , the place is also flourishing with tourists all year round !

16. Mojo_66

Some wonderful photos Caledonia, I meant Lancs specifically, I know there are some interesting places around here but work and the price of petrol forbids me from going too far.

17. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mojo, I know what you mean about the travelling, I commute from Glasgow to Edinburgh for work so I'm passing most of these places anyway, it'd be rude not to stop and take a snap or two :).

Lancs really does look like it has some cracking explores

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/tags/lancashire.html

Well worth a look If you ever find yourself with extra time :)

18. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

Superb collections of images on that site.

I did a little 'urbexing' myself a few years ago, it's good fun and quite exciting to imagine that you'll be one of the last people in a place before it finally falls down or is bulldozed. I stopped as it's harder to find places to go and it's actually quite dangerous on your own. In the current economic climate I can imagine we will soon have our own huge collection of abandoned pubs and hotels to explore here in the UK.