1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC4 Photography Season (starting 6th March)

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by AlanW, Feb 25, 2017.

1. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

BBC4 are having a 'photography season' starting with :

Britain in Focus: A Photographic History
    Monday 6th March, 9-10pm (part 1 of 3)

In this first part, Eamonn McCabe explores the development of the art of photography
    in the UK, beginning by looking at how science and technology allowed pioneering
    photographers like Roger Fenton and Julia Margaret Cameron to create a new art form

in the 1800s.

Also as part of the season another episode in the series, "What do artists do all day",
    featuring Dougie Wallace, no details at the minute when it will be broadcast.

There's other programmes as well so best to check the BBC4 listings, but I expect everything
    will be available on iplayer.

Geren and Catriona like this.
  2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the first episode, with nostalgic stuff about Lacock Abbey & Henry Fox Talbot. Looking forward to the next.

Louise likes this.
  4. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Yes, it was a pleasant hours viewing, particularly liked the Roger Fenton and Julia Margaret Cameron sections, would love to see a whole series on Victorian photographers.

Louise likes this.
  5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I thought it was good of its kind.
    Avoided the cringe making stuff. And ang gross technical blunders.
    Though it brought up nothing that I did not know before.

6. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

We visited Dimbola a few years ago. Well worth a visit if anybody is in the area. I really liked a lot of her work.

Louise likes this.
  7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

If you ignore that bloke saying he was just focusing the camera AFTER he'd already been shown inserting the wet plate!

8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

For me, it was a reasonably interesting, and (mostly) enjoyable documentary. My only gripe is a more general one, about the silly and disingenuous device used in documentaries, whereby presenters have to feign partial (or total) ignorance of their subject, in order to provide a 'discussion'. In this instance, when the photographer at Lacock was showing Eamonn McCabe the Fox Talbot replica camera, he inserted an aperture disc into the camera and said "There we are: f/44". On hearing this, Eamonn McCabe asked "So that stops the exposure time down, does it?". o_O This silliness is becoming commonplace in all sorts of documentaries, and it's bloody irritating. Only a total 'newbie' would need to ask such a question - and certainly not a photographer of McCabe's experience.

Documentary makers seem to have decided that we must all be made to believe that their intrepid presenter is always "finding out":rolleyes: about the subject. In reality, of course, the reason that he/she has been selected to present the documentary is that they already know something about it. :mad: /Rant over ;)

spangler, Andrew Flannigan and Geren like this.
  9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

On so many documentaries, false tension is introduced, I guess, to keep us watching that channel.

peterba likes this.
  10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes, it should be perfectly possible to phrase things such that the knowledgeable presenter simply asks the guest to 'explain for the viewer what that does...' rather than pretend s/he doesn't know.

peterba likes this.
  11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I assumed that that part was just a reenactment. So missed that.
    I started my working life with glass dry plates.

12. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed. You said it far more concisely (and with less ranting;)) than I managed!

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The Open University programmes show how it should be done. We watched part 2 of "Vienna: Empire, Dynasty and Dream" presented by Simon Sebag Montefiore the other night and it was fascinating because it presented the information concisely.

14. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

When it comes to arts programmes, there's really only one presenter for me, Waldemar Januszczak . . . . . and Simon Schama . . . OK, when it comes to arts programmes, there's really only two presenters . . . . :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  15. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the first programme, except for the fact that it kept referring to Roger Fenton in connection with Yorkshire and neglected to mention that he was, in fact, a Rochdale lad!

Cheers, Jeff

AlanW likes this.
  16. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I knew that :)

Was hoping for more than just a quick mention for Hill & Adamson (their photographs of the fisher folk of Newhaven were taken just down the hill from me), hence why I think a series on Victorian photographers might be interesting :)

Alan

17. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I fell to sleep and woke up at 3am and wondered why the TV was still on! So I missed it....

18. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Further to my post.....it could be an age thing.....I read something about TV catch up....well I pressed several buttons and hey presto......I got last nights programme.... about photography... I found it very interesting and well worth watching!

Fishboy likes this.
  19. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the program, it cleared some gaps in my knowledge. Good to see the presenter used a Canon as his modern camera.

20. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

He also used a Fuji X-Pro1 or 2 as I recall...I assume that was while his Canon was otherwise employed in making sure his door didn't blow shut! :p

Cheers, Jeff