1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barnard Castle

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by bench_ubbster, Aug 13, 2008.

1. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Well Baldersdale actually. Just booked a cottage for next week. What are the must see's in the area. I know there is High Force waterfall, Brough Castle and The Bowes Museum, but what else? I have the whole week and we will have the dogs, so out door attractions/events only.

2. Boxy

Boxy Well-Known Member

Not sure how far you want to be travelling but Aysgarth falls are about 30 miles south of Barnard Castle. You may know it? It's in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, plenty of parking at the Park Centre and various mapped out circular walks.

3. bench_ubbster

My missus used to live in Skipton, so I know that area quite well. But yes, say 50 mile radius of BC is doable.

4. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Barnard Castle! <shudder /> :(

I failed my entrance exam for Barnard Castle School back in the day...

5. bench_ubbster

My dad did some of his National Service up near Barney, Staindrop camp and Deerbolt to be precise. So will pay them a visit, although I think Deerbolt is now an HMP :rolleyes:

I failed my entrance exam to Kimbolton if it's any consolation :( But now look at me :rolleyes:

6. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Well-Known Member

The Stang - Google Maps - isn't far from Barnard Castle and last time I was up there there were tons of Curlews and Grouse

- article from the Guardian -

then there is a lovely bit where the River Greta meets Sleightholme Beck just south-west of Bowes, just off the A66

You'll also have the whole of Teesdale to play with, High Force and a long stretch of the Pennine Way, Middleton-in-Teesdale has a really nice cafe on the main street called 1618 that makes great sandwiches and a reasonable cup of coffee (cute girls serving as well)

And south you have Richmond and the Swale to walk along

7. bench_ubbster

Now that sounds worth a visit ;)

Many thanks for your suggestions. I have been to Barney twice before, but haven't visited the castle or much of the surrounding area, in fact we didn't get much further than its pubs :eek: From what I can remember they are quite plentiful and friendly :cool:

8. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

Funny,i've lived in Darlington for 7 years next month but i've never been to Barney Castle!

9. Ephemeral

Oh there you go

Darlington - especially the exhibition at the The Decisive Moment Gallery ;) - though it might be closed - can't remember if Paul is on holiday or not, but if you want to see it give me a phone and as I'm on the key list can let you in to have a look

10. bench_ubbster

Are dogs allowed in the gallery? If not, I'll have to dump them and the missus off somewhere ;) :D

11. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

hmm, I wonder if thats the gallery run by a guy named Hindle-he's kind of a relative of Helens!

12. Ephemeral

I think dogs are ok - wives too ;)

Paul's last name is Dillon - so possibly not

13. timwalker

timwalker Active Member

Hi

Just moved from West Auckland last year to Norfolk. Barney has lots to photograh, Durham isn't far and is beautiful. But really, from Barney take the little roads and you will have as many opportunities as you can shake a stick at! Go west (not on the A66 - take the small roads, but make sure you have plenty of petrol!). The Lakes are only an hour from Barney
    On the other hand, there are plenty of industrial opportunities - go for Middlesborough and other places on the east coast. Also Northumberland isn't far - pretty sure 'the best driving road' in the world is there somewhere, and it was voted as the best for the road and the scenery.

Hope you enjoy your time up there!
    Tim

14. Flyer5

Flyer5 Well-Known Member

Opposite the cafe and a bit further along there is a small chip shop - best chips in the north east. get some chips then go for a cuppa in 1618!

15. Tooslow

Tooslow Well-Known Member

If you head up towards High Force there is a car park on the right a mile or two before High Force (great directions eh? Sorry but can't remember the name). If it hasn't changed, then you can park FREE and walk across the road, cross a field, cross the river on an entertaining suspension foot bridge and join up with the Pennine Way. Head upsteam and you pass Low Force, not spectacular but worth the walk. Continue walking and a very pleasant foot path leads you to High Force. And you don't have to pay to see it, unlike the other side (I admit it. I'm a Yorkshireman). I've never done it but you should be able to keep walking to Cauldron Snout but as it's directly below Cow Green reservoir, the amount of water coming down will depend on how wide they've opened the tap. You can climb up it if you dare. I did when I was a teenager, I doubt I would now.
    JH

16. datawise

datawise Well-Known Member

Just passed Brough on the way to a client in Stockton last Friday, it's a great little castle...I stopped and took a few pics. Never tried Barnard Castle though...

[​IMG]

17. Ephemeral

Here's one of Bowes Castle taken a few weeks ago

[​IMG]

know Bowes quite well as Shanna's dad was from there and her grandparent's ashes are scattered there

18. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Always wondered as I've only ever seen the road signs, is it pronounced Bruff or Brow?

19. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

"It", usually. The "" is silent as in " "

20. datawise

datawise Well-Known Member

I've always called it Bruff