1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barbican Centre

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Gezza, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

If anybody is in London over the next few months This is well worth a visit. We went yesterday, A great view of the UK through the eyes of many different photographers.

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I wish I could because it looks really intriguing - and I loved some of those teaser images.

3. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

You know it makes sense to go

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Well it would but....can't afford it!

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

And, ironically, I was "digging London in 1976 and 1977", pretty groovy, eh ;) Wish I could get over to see it :(

Cheers,

Jack

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

"Photography is not permitted"

Somewhat ironic...

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Is that just for this exhibition then? I'm sure I happily snapped my way round the Pop Art exhibition at the Barbican a couple of years back?

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes, I checked that out. Odd. And as you say, somewhat ironic.

I do sometimes wonder about the whole photography ban thing in galleries and museums. Not using flash near precious 'archival' papers etc I can understand but I highly doubt anyone could take a shot of something under glass and lights and pass it off as their own work so I don't get why so many places won't allow you to photograph exhibits. Although obviously, punters who can take shots of exhibits to remind themselves of their visit are perhaps less likely to buy £30+ exhibition catalogues which probably accounts for it in one go.

Benchista likes this.
  10. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I can recommend the exhibition book - well worth the £23 I paid! There's a brief biography for each of the 23 photographers, many I'd never heard of, and the quality of the reproductions are excellent - I have to say the 8 or 9 Glasgow photographs by Raymond Depardon look better here than in his own book on the subject. Here's hoping the exhibition travels!

I have to side with the galleries with banning flash (though not photography), I'm there to see the exhibition and allowing flash would just annoy the life out of me! It's too distracting, like mobile phones in the cinema!

[​IMG]
    Alan

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I've nearly been chucked out of the Barbican Gallery for taking photos. Back in the days of my first XA. Not of the photos on show. (Bet the kids will be doing that - or trying to - on their 'phones!) I was fascinated by the other visitors and how they looked when looking at the exhibition. OK, OK; so I like Mussorgsky!

Please note: over 60s discounts apply to the concession at the Barbican but they are less trusting than, for example, the Natural History Museum. Take ID with you. There is also a ban on backpacks currently, for security reasons, so small outfits only in really small shoulder bags unless you are prepared to trust the Cloakroom with your 1DX/S2 or M240/D5 and trio of high end zooms.

AlanW likes this.
  12. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

There is a ban on backpacks and they are strict with it as they are with the no photography thing but it is still so worth going....

13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Ah, I remember now...yes, I had to check my camera and my backpack. I only took a notepad and pen around with me, made some notes and sketches. And then managed to lose my notebook out by the fountains because not having a bag to put it into...

I spent twenty minutes asking at lost property and hunting and searching until eventually I saw a woman with a buggy and my notebook stuffed in the netting thing on the back of the buggy. I approached her and she *said* she was on her way to hand it in but I'm not entirely convinced! That had all my notes from my trip to London in it - would have been a disaster to lose it! Funny how you can so easily forget something that felt traumatic at the time.