1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bank Holiday Weekend

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Craig20264, Aug 22, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

So my first day of holiday started out pretty well.

Toilet handle link broke at 7:30am.
    I went to Tesco for a friend breakfast.
    Bought a replacement link from Screwfix (they open at 7!) and fixed the toilet by 9:20am.

It's a hatchet job, but as I said on Facebook, the whole cistern is Frankenstein's monster anyway.

Then I drove into the city and wandered about in the insane heat (clear skies, bright sun) for a couple of hours taking nothing but rubbish photographs, followed by a couple of hours of procrastination-driven grocery shopping. And ended with my first ever batch of home made prawn, fish and noodle miso soup.

Onwards and upwards - I may go to the IWA Festival of Water tomorrow and see if I can't get at least one interesting photograph there.

2. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

We all take rubbish pictures at some time but don't throw them away, to-days rubbish can sometimes be quite valuable in years to come, even out of focus pictures can become tomorrows art. enjoy you time out with your camera that's what its all about........

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

Tried this today - it's annoyingly difficult. Not helped by me taking the wrong lens, but they allow cars to park on our pedestrian high street (with blue badges) which mean some of the shop fronts are obscured, and it was market day, which means a whole bunch more were.

Also, I felt self conscious photographing places like the barbers and nail places, because customers are staring right back out at you.

Ah well, I'll try on a non-market day.

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I'm totally not comfortable with a camera in town. Hats off for giving it a go. I much prefer the seclusion of a good forest at dawn. ;)

5. EightBitTony

Well it's interesting, I wander around the big city centre with a camera, and I go through phases of being able to take close-up street photography, and phases of being too self conscious. However, I feel that self-consciousness is always greater in a small town centre for some reason.

A friend and I have posted a few pictures to Facebook recently, of candid street shots (candid street portraits would be the best description), and garnered some agitated responses from 'friends' about whether it's 'right' or not. It's always an interesting debate, and I know we've had the conversation on here before. My self-consciousness does not derive from a feeling of it being wrong or unacceptable, it's just my general self-consciousness interacting with strangers at any level (and photographing them is interacting). I really dislike going into places I've not been in before, especially if I'm not sure 'how they work' [1] and I'm utterly terrible at starting conversations with people I don't know. I can respond and build a rapport if someone starts the conversation [2], but can't start it myself. So my self-consciousness derives from that - and I'm kind of hoping photography will help me get over it.

[1] For example, if I'm not sure if a cafe is table service or counter service, then I'll really struggle to go in on my own until I do know.
    [2] I started the 100 strangers project, which encourages you to walk up to people and ask to take their portrait, get some info on them, etc. I have so far, taken 1 portrait in April 2015, because the guy [3] spoke to me as I walked past his boat on the first day of the project. I've not been able to approach anyone since.
    [3] Richard, he's here - https://flic.kr/p/r6j981

6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I'm happy to strike up a conversation with anyone, but I could never ask them if I could photograph them! Odd isn't it. I really feel uncomfortable even having a camera with me in town. There's no hope for me as a street tog I can tell you that! I always feel people are wondering what I'm up to, which makes me even more furtive, which compounds the problem. I'd probably be ok in London, where every man and his dog is carrying some sort of camera.

7. EightBitTony

I think I said this in a previous thread - wear a hat, you'll look like a tourist.

steveandthedogs and Craig20264 like this.
  8. IvorCamera

Its always been difficult to take pictures in a busy area, some people just dont like cameras being waved in front of them, street photography changed forever when Princess Diana got chased by the pap! I still go to town with my camera and I do ask people if I can take their picture sometimes its a enthusiastic yes another time its a nasty f... off.....such is life. It gets easier if there is a street carnival on or a demo, with a demo you just walk into the middle of it, and the last big one in town I was almost arrested for waving my camera over my head to get a pic, a pc told me to stop he said thats dangerously close to peoples heads so I will have to brush my technique up a bit.....I am never to old to take advice in.....at the end of the day its all good fun.

9. EightBitTony

So my two weeks are up.

First week had the better weather for certain, but the second week had the most varied photography (although fewer trips).

Got out with the camera pretty much every day bar about 3 (one of those was today, helping family move house).

This week, I did some landscape photography (I'm not going to get better through lamentation alone, although it turns out, that actually doing it isn't helping either), some 'studio' shots with a friend and some kids in a very DIY studio setup in a church hall which taught us both a great deal, and the usual wandering around in the streets kind of stuff. I had one shot at taking photos of the shop fronts, but picked the wrong day and on non-market days, the weather was too rubbish, so didn't achieve that.

Didn't go through any backlogs of my photos. Did however get some photographs up on Alamy and got through the QC stage with iStock but haven't uploaded anything there yet.

Did some test prints with Pixieset via Loxley. One with colour correct by Loxley and one without. The colour corrected image is a tiny shade lighter than the non-corrected, which isn't bad given my monitor isn't calibrated. Loxley are excellent quality though and very quick (not a cheap set of tests, however).

All in all, a pretty photography filled two weeks, with a lot of post-processing still to do, and one or two images I'm really pleased with among hundreds that are snapshots at best.

And tomorrow - back to work :(

Craig20264 likes this.
  10. IvorCamera

As long as you enjoyed the 2 weeks that's all that matters, if you are not happy with the pictures you took (most of us are not) there is always another day.......

EightBitTony and steveandthedogs like this.
  11. EightBitTony

You haven't even seen the pictures I took, how can you not be happy with them :)

DaveM399 likes this.
  12. IvorCamera

Whoops sorry! Perhaps I was reflecting on my latest efforts, when I managed to take about 150 snaps, checked them out when I got home, some seemed a bit bright, I forgot to change my ISO from 400 to 200, and the + and - which was set on a third brighter.....(its an age thing) but I managed a few nice one's.........such is life.:)

EightBitTony likes this.