1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bank Holiday Weekend

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Craig20264, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Well, another eagerly anticipated photography break is dawning. We go away on Thursday until Monday. :):):):)

Just checked the weather in anticipation of some magical mornings and evenings, and what did I see........
    cloud.png
    Every single day!:(:(:(:(

It's due to be nice on Monday of course....For the journey home!

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Yes but cloudless sunny skies aren't good for landscape photography.
    Mind you they're better than when it's p*ssing down......

3. Craig20264

They are for 10 minutes in the morning and evening! That's all I ask. It's not much really!
    I'd rather have rain than dull and dry, for photography anyway, not for Barbecuing. :)

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I've got the week off. I'm glad it's going to be dry and overcast and just warm, not hot. Perfect for the Great Dorset Steam Fair, unlike last year's blistering heat and bright sun.

5. Craig20264

Yes, perfect for that sort of thing. I on the other hand shall laugh in the face of adversity, leave the camera in the bag, and spend 4 days on my recliner, drinking and eating rubbish food. :)

Geren and EightBitTony like this.
  6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Got a fortnight off work starting Monday. I plan to steal @Geren 's inspiration and photograph the shop fronts in my local town, and try and have at least a few days out of the area taking totally rubbish snapshots of anything and everything.

I also intend, and will fail, to tidy up my back-log of images that I need to delete, scan in some more photographs from my time at university, and generally organise my digital image collection.

If I have any energy left, I might try and put a 10-20 page photobook together titled Old Market Square. We'll see.

(Also, if it looks like it might start dry and then have heavy showers, I'm going into Nottingham to wait for people in summer clothes who didn't read the weather forecast to start sprinting as the heaven's open, fingers crossed).

Geren likes this.
  7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I was looking at some shop fronts that I took in Uppermill only seven years ago. All but one is now something different......

EightBitTony and Geren like this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I don't think we have a bank holiday here? The kids have only just gone back to school and my head isn't really 'in gear' in terms of days/dates/weeks etc. I do know that I have a job interview on Thursday for a job I really, really, really would like to have so I'm trying to prepare for that as best I can just now. And I also have at least two photographic comps that I should be entering but don't know what to put in!

Terrywoodenpic and EightBitTony like this.
  9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I find photographing them so compelling. I started my little series a few weeks back now and the line up has already changed in that short time.

10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Good luck!

Geren likes this.
  11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Sign of our times unfortunately. Hopefully they are not all coffee shops.

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

One rather posh photographers outfit, is now certainly the poshest coffee place in town with an always full cofee garden in front.
    However many shops that open are destined to fail from day one. Nas we do not have the footfall nor parking to supports speciality shops.

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Oh dear Craig. You haven't been naughty and bought a 'scope have you (SGL in joke)?

I'll be on my way back from a week in Dorset, so far had one good clear night, but so humid every thing was drenched in dew.

14. Craig20264

I must admit to being tempted every winter, but then I remember how many nights I actually used the Dob when I had it due to the cloud cover! I dare say one day I'll be lured back, but it'll be a Frac next time. ;)

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

He, he APM or Tak? Or possibly a TEC?

TBH these last few winters have been dire, what happened to those crisp, clear nights we used to have? Last winter we had weeks of cloud, and when it did clear we had 95+% humidity with dew drenching every surface.

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am retired. Public holidays are only noticed by different parking patterns and the lack of down market immitation Chelsea tractors not on the lazy school run.

Catriona and Zou like this.
  17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well take a very long lens and find the interviewer's address. You might just catch them somewhere they shouldn't be. Should do the trick. ;)

Geren likes this.
  18. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I am retired too and yes I am a senior, Bank holidays mean nothing now they are just like other days in the week and we are never paid holiday pay so we never pay much attention to them, for those who do work, then enjoy your time off and I hope you get some decent weather, and for the photographers out there I hope you get some nice snaps.......

19. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Looks like you went the wrong way for your photobreak.
    The weather here on Thursday & Friday was perfect for the local airshow - Patchy high cloud & good to excellent visibility Friday morning the further offshore windfarm (>20 miles away) was visible but not clear, the rest of the time it was crystal clear. I'm told it's supposed to be good weather again tomorrow for a motor racing session. Just hope my poor camera doesn't melt under the workload!

20. Craig20264

Luckily, and as usual, the forecast was wrong. It's been gorgeous, with another sunny day due tomorrow. I shall be up and about for the best of the light in the morning, then a cooked breakfast, and spend the rest of the day snoozing until the F1 starts on telly, then hopefully back out with the camera for some decent evening light.:)