1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bang for the buck

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Every now and then it's a good idea to look at exactly what a lazy, popular cliche means. "Bang for the buck" (as in "the new Sony offers more bang for the buck than a Leica") was what prompted this. A quick Google revealed that the going rate for a hand grenade in the UK is a couple of hundred quid -- http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/manchester-police-shootings-death-for-sale-1333566 -- and that's a lot of bang at a much lower price than a Sony, even if it's maybe ten times as much as the MoD pays for legitimate grenades (insofar as you can have legitimate hand grenades). Another is "holding their feet to the fire", popular with American politicians. I wonder if they'd be quite so keen on this means of persuasion if they'd ever met anyone who had been tortured that way, or seen the scars: it happened to a Tibetan friend of mine at the hands of the Chinese. Maybe some of them would be keener...

What other meaningless and sometimes frankly disgusting cliches upset you personally? Frances volunteered "stepping up to the plate", as worthless a baseball-derived cliche as it is easy to find. How many Britons know what it means *at all*, and when is it ever appropriate, other than when describing the American adaptation of the well known little girls' game of rounders?

Cheers,

R.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Touch base...

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

'v' instead of versus. Perhaps most don't know the word...

4. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Tits up ? :)

Doesn't upset me personally, but it might upset a few of the gentler sex.

Regards, Mike

5. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Oh! for gawd's sake Roger, get a grip

6. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I've always heard "Bang for your buck" before, never "the".

I don't think I've heard the feet and fire one.

I can't think of any that really upset me. I'm annoyed when people get them wrong: "Off his own bat" invariably has bat substituted with "back" instead, I've heard AWOL used to mean 'mad' a number of times instead of going absent without permission.

Otherwise it's the workplace orientated ones. Where I work retail outlets are known as the 'estate', everybody has to take 'ownership' of something they don't actually own!

'24/7' is a bit annoying too!

7. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

I don't think I've heard that use of AWOL before, but I could quite understand it as 'one's senses have gone AWOL'

I shall start writing 24/7 as 3.428571...

8. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Heaven's above - wake up and smell the coffee. ;);)

MickLL

9. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Well, 'let me just say this' - that 'at the end of the day' most 'hard-working British people' find difficult language to be 'unfit for purpose' and prefer to 'get back to basics', therefore perhaps 'it's time to draw a line' under this question, and agree that it's also the 'time to move on' from the subject you have raised, Roger, and so perhaps we can 'ring-fence' this topic for another day?

10. Roger Hicks

Dear Kate,

I'd write that -- well, "v." instead of "v" -- but I'd always pronounce the word in full. Or, indeed, I might read "against" for "v." as that was common usage when I was at law school.

Cheers,

R.

11. Roger Hicks

Or possibly "man up", which for casual and cretinous sexism is hard to beat. Anyone know where it comes from, and when it first appeared?

Cheers,

R.

12. Roger Hicks

Dear Mike,

As far as I'm aware, "at the end of the day" has its origins in legalese, the "day" not being the usual 24 hour one (whether "7" or not), but the "day in court" -- which could of course be spread over months. Like the other examples, it's a fine example of how a phrase which is not inherently meaningless or offensive has been so over-used, and so stretched, and to become quite adequately offensive. I almost felt like taking a bath after reading your well-crafted paragraph -- especially the bit about "hard-working British people", after reading this on Auntie today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24553611 -- Working parents in Britain "simply do not earn enough to escape poverty"

Cheers,

R.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I actually like "bang for your buck". The others are reprehensible at best.

14. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Before the sun goes down, I might do a bit of blue sky thinking.

15. Roger Hicks

Dear Dave,

You'll have to get out of your box first...

Cheers,

R.

16. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

Are we talking about male rabbits here, or male deer? I'd imagine the size of the bang would need to be quite different! :D

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Which would you prefer to bang? ;)

18. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

"End of" :mad:

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I could of replied but didn't.

20. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

At this moment in time, it would have to be Devastated.

No matter how serious or trivial something is, people are always devastated.

'You lost out on a gold medal, how do you feel?' - 'Devastated.'

'Your whole family died in the earthquake' - 'I'm devastated.'

Do I hate it? Absolutely.

We need some new cliches, after all it's not rocket science.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013