1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

back to photography .

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by alan belfast, Feb 4, 2017.

1. alan belfast

alan belfast Member

hi
    firstly i'm new here so i hope i posted in right thread.used to have a passion for photography in my younger years (teenage to mid 20'S)...and dabbled in 35mm film etc..nothing to grand tho..family/wildlife/landscapes that sort of thing..now after a few years away from it all ..ive decided to rekindle some of that passion( actually quite afew years as im now in my 50's)....so basically ..im gonna be new to all this now as the old grey cells remember some of it..not alot mind you..what i'm after is really just the basic equipment..what i need to have etc...ive narrowed it down to the list below

1--camera body
    2--basic kit lens
    3--prime lens for my family shots
    4--zoom lens
    5--batteries(spares etc)
    6--memory cards
    7--flash
    8--tripod
    9--remote shutter or something suitable..my phone might do this for me depending on camera
    10--bag
    11-filters...this is something i want to play about with

camera etc ..i will get an idea when i visit a camera shop..which will probably be a calumet near me to get the feel of it .i'm a bit old school here in that i want or should i say..prefer..a proper camera to learn on again..so going down the DSLR route here.ive looked into the other kinds and ,maybe its just me..but i started on the SLR cameras back in the 80's and still want to follow this route.probably more expensive too...ok..so if theres anything i have left out that you think would be suitable for me i'd be grateful if you could point it out.not asking for advice on camera makes etc..that will be for me to decide when i visit the shop etc..as for my budget,well..about 1k to spend on whatever i need to start with...this is just a hobby/project for me and maybe my son too.
    my thinking about camera brands/models etc so far comes down to Canon EOS 1300D Digital SLR and the Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera....i'm after a camera thats not basic but offers abit more to play about with..i plan on mostly landscapes/family /wildlife etc...to see where it gets me.if theres anything missing from my list and maybe advice on filters etc....tho trying to keep my costs down...i do expect to spend 400-500 again on various lens/filters...i know from other websites etc that i need nd filters for landscapes which i know nothing off..so again may need some tho will have to keep costs down...ok...been going on abit..tho much appreciatted if you read it and can point me in the right directjon.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'd start with items 1,2 and 6. Add 3 and 4 as budget allows. 5 is useful but not essential as DSLR batteries are typically excellent these days. 10 is far from essential, but as you add gear make sure you can accommodate all you need (not necessarily all you can carry). 7 is useful for a certain type of photography, but low light capability of modern DSLRs make it far less essential than in the past. 8 and 9 go hand in hand - also you can use 2 or 10 second self timer in place of a remote release if you are thinking landscapes. Remote is better of course and offers bulb mode, but not essential. 11 - well, there are no essential filters. NDs are useful for controlling shutter speeds in a range of light, graduated NDs are helpful for balancing exposure between bright and dark areas, IF there's a fairly straight horizon/edge to follow. May be better initially spending on Photoshop CC - the latest Lightroom allows digital grads to be added and irregular areas lightened very very usefully.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with Zou. There is some cost advantage to getting a kit rather than separate body and lens. As you go up the model scale the cameras get better built and less dependent on the menu system for changing settings but they all do the same job. Better to expand a system when you have identified the need for something - that is just bring cost-efficient. If you do decide to do your own processing then you need (obviously) a computer and if you do colour work that you share elsewhere you will likely need to get a calibration device for the monitor.

4. alan belfast

alan belfast Member

hi
    thanks Pete and Zou...yeah there are a few things on my list that i dont need yet..but will probably get some of those i later months to come.im quite handy on a laptop..but would be new to photoshop..i have seen it being used so maybe will do some editing that way...always have my younger son to teach me there anyway lol ..only went with the list above as that was what i used when i was alot younger on my SLR..not even sure if you can buy a small kit that includes some of those above..i know some cameras come with kit and a basic zoom lens..which will possibly the way i go ..to really get to grips with things first..i guess no point in running if you cant walk lol ...again guys thanks for the advice and quick replies.looks like i could become a regular here lol

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Photoshop is quite heavy going - far too much for me. Many people use Elements. I use Lightroom (primary purposes to develop "raw" files) on a standalone licence - though how long Adobe will keep that up I don't know. They make it very difficult to find LR on its own in their on-line shop. If you do buy Canon the software that comes with the camera is very good - I moved to Lightroom mainly for the catalogue function.

Today the main choice is DSLR vs Compact System Camera and then what format (sensor size) to buy. These days there is an excellent availability of lenses for APS-C cameras (most DSLRs and CSCs) and I believe for the smaller format micro-4/3 CSC cameras. The gap between CSC and DSLRs is closing - is closed for those who don't use the viewfinder.

Most cameras come with a low-power built in flash and most will work at ISO values you wouldn't believe from film days so unless you have a strong desire to work with flash you can get along without. The exceptions tend to be the full-frame cameras.

Filters are not so important as they used to be. The colour balance can be readily changed so correction filters are not necessary. Digital files will take quite considerable exposure correction so graduated filters can be simulated. Polarising filters cannot be simulated. Some people like neutral density filters so extend the exposure time to blur movement. Base ISO on most cameras is 200 so it is quite hard to get long exposure times in good light.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

An example of how grads can be simulated in Lightroom (I think you need Photoshop CC for this @ about £8 a month, constantly up to date with latest features), and why doing so may be better than using the real thing (which remember is a straight-edged graduation):

7. alan belfast

alan belfast Member

hi
    i decided..rightly or wrongly lol..on a canon EOS 700D.along with the kit lens 18-55mm IS STM Lens...havent bought yet..but i was happy enough with holding them etc ...maybe some of the functions of the camera are beyond me...but i'll have fun learning..as i'm sure will my son..however,i do wish to purchase a prime lens for portraits..am hoping that i can get one for around 100-150 sterling ( not to sure where you guys are )...and also a cheapish zoom lens that my son can learn on landscapes/wildlife shots...as for the flash...thanks pete..i think i will leave that option for another time and just stick with the built in flash. Polarising filters and neutral density filters are something that i'd like to mess around with..so guessing i'll need a tripod and a remote shutter...the 700d has an optional remote which i think i will be getting ...at the minute i'm just seeing what options are there as i don't plan on rushing out and getting any old camera..probably another month before i do that.if you guys know of any suitable lens prime/zoom that are cheapish and reasonably good...i'd be grateful...i'm just treating this as a hobby along with teaching my son about photography and getting him away from the consoles and experiencing the great outdoors lol

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

If you go down the Canon route then the EF 50mm, f1.8 is a good performer, giving a field of view roughly equivalent to 85mm on your old film cameras, so ideal for head and shoulders portraits and cheap with it. For serious wildlife lenses you're looking at serious money. On a restricted budget you're looking at 70-300mm offerings and the used market. Look for lenses with some form of image stabilisation (IS on Canon lenses, VC on Tamron. ). One to consider at the cheap end is Canon's EF-S 55-250mm IS. Whilst you are sacrificing a little bit of focal length, it really is a good performer for the money. Due to disability my wife can't manage big heavy lenses, so she uses one and gets some lovely wildlife shots on her 70D with it.

10. alan belfast

alan belfast Member

hi
    to Zou and MJB....many many thanks for those lens ideas....all look very good to me and well within my price range...all will indeed be purchased too..have read alot of reviews on them and will also get the lens hood and probably a Polarising filter too.