1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back Button Focus

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by EightBitTony, Jul 31, 2017.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I tend to use BBF when the part of the subject that needs to be in focus is rather small,like eyes.

It is easier to lock focus before concentrating on composition.Some of the time I also use AEL too,which is set to toggle.

peterba likes this.
  2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I tried that for a while, and it's a perfectly sound approach, but it just didn't suit me - so BBF it is.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

My previous reply was frivolous. It is true that before AF, photographers captured moments of action using the focussing ring, either actively or to prefocus. A lot of shots were missed due to poor focus.Using a modern AF system and bbf I suspect that less shots are spoilt but don't ask me to prove it; I don't really know.
    I find that oscillating between bbf and release focus is confusing. I find it best to set my DSLRs to bbf and leave them there. Backbutton focus has become second nature for everything, whether it is needed or not. As I have mentioned earlier, I don't care how other people focus; that is their affair entirely.
    When you pick up your camera, how do remember the state in which you left it? Back button focus never is harmful, even when it is not required. Release focus is also fine. An indeterminate state leads to lost shots.

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

If and when I'm using an autofocus mode I do use BBF because I never seemed to be able to only half-depress the shutter release - so I was taking shots rather than focusing the camera and more of them were a blurred mess than I wanted.

peterba likes this.
  5. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes, that's certainly among the reasons that I switched to BBF - however, mainly it was due to unwanted re-focus, and to simply focus/recompose.

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Nor was I being entirely serious. Also, a great deal depends, quite simply, on what you are used to and what sort of pictures you take.

Cheers,

R.