1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back Button Focus for a moving subject

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Darth Vader, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

When using Back Button Focus for a moving subject do I need to hold the button down all the time or just the once to get focus?

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Whichever button you have assigned autofocus to, will behave like the half press on the shutter release (I'm assuming other brands work the same as my Canons), so yes you will need to hold the button.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

All the time. You will need to set a continuous focus mode (A1 servo on Canon cameras). I find it very difficult to use back button focus for rapidly moving approaching subjects It is best used when the subject is intermittently obscured, e.g. moving behind something like a bird in a reed bed or tree. If thr subject is is obscured it can mean that when tracking with continuous focus the focus can jump forward (or sometimes backwards) if it loses the subject. My camera allows the focussing system to ignore interventions, provided they are brief, but it is sometimes better to take focus control away from the shutter button.