1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back again ...

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Pontoneer, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Well-Known Member

It has been a while since I looked in here , but having finally got myself a K-1 exactly a week ago , thought I'd drop in to see what was happening .

After four years or so of using my K-3 , which I'm keeping , I expected the K-1 to be a straightforward transition - actually it's VERY different - besides a few new buttons and switches , things in different places and a whole new menu system - the operation of the camera is quite different , so this last week has been quite a learning curve .

My first challenge was finding the best lens to use on it . While I've been shooting Pentax since 1975 and have more than a few SMC-M series lenses , I don't have so many FF AF lenses . I fist dug out an old SMC-F series 28-80 macro lens which I thought might work quite well ( it did on my MZ-S ) but it was somehow disappointing - but maybe some of my other settings were off ... Then I tried a Sigma 28-135mm consumer grade lens - this one has produced some stunning photos on the K-1 , so I'm well pleased with it ; I also went out with a Sigma EX 15-30mm lens I've had for a while , and photographed a castle nearby , trying out the HDR and pixel shift modes on a sunny day - these turned out really well also ...

I have three Metz 54 MZ-4 flashes , with the correct SCA modules , which always worked well on my K-3 , and the *istD before that - but at first wouldn't play well with the K-1 . I tried dropping the sync speed down from 1/200 to 1/180 and the results were a bit more consistent - on the K-3 I always shot in X mode and selected aperture manually ; this at first didn't seem so great on the K-1 ( I had set the Metz from APSC to FF ) but then it seemed to start working .

I also recently got four Cactus V6ii transceivers , and had them working pretty well with the K-3 , but it took a bit of fiddling around to get good results with the K-1 .

I also have one Metz 70 MZ-5 and three 45 CL4 Digital flashes , which all worked with the K-3 but I have yet to try wth the K-1 .

I seem to be generally getting there , but it is a lot of trial and error , which I hadn't expected .

When the pictures come out though , they are stunning and the image quality is streets ahead of the K-3 , so I'm well pleased with the camera and just need to put more time and practice into it .

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Welcome back, stick around. We need some fresh input around these parts. Oh and enjoy your new camera, and don't forget to show us some images. :)

3. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Well-Known Member

Thanks , I’ll post up something worthwhile over the next few days ; want to try out astrotracer when sky is clear.