1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[b]Need urgent help! Dust on internal lens element of Fuji S20pro![/b]

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by FujiSigmaNolta, Jun 21, 2005.

1. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

Hi all!

I have a Fuji S20 pro along with my film kit which I use to photograph parties and weddings and the like. Just about half an hour ago a spot appeared on the LCD. At first I though it was dust on the front lens element so I cleaned it. I took another shot and there was the spot again. It seems to get out of focus as the camera adjusts for the incoming light and seems to get sharper or more visible when aperture closes. I though at first I fried the sensor but obviously not because of what I mentioned before. I spent some good ten minutes looking inside the lens barrel and I believe I found the problem. There is a tiny, bright color dust particle inside the second lens element (counting from the front). How did it get there since it's not an interchangeable lens camera and what can I do about it without spending a lot of money to have it cleaned?
    Please help ASAP as I depend on this great all rounder a lot.

Thanking you in advance,

Provia_fan

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

This sounds like it is certainly dust on the digital sensor. Dust on lens elements does not show up in pictures, other than by things like flare or a general loss of contrast. Dust on sensors is a common digital problem, and the behaviour you describe, with it getting sharper as the lens stops down, is exactly how it behaves. Although your camera doesn't have interchangeable lenses, the fixed lens does move in and out, and therefore cannot be sealed - there has to be a way for air to get in and out, and this is probably how the dust has got in.

You might be able to shift it with a blast of compressed air around the side of the movable lens assembly, but I don't know for cetain that there wouldn't be any internal components that might be damaged by this, so try it only at your own risk. Otherwise I'd get it profesionally serviced/cleaned.

3. FujiSigmaNolta

Thanks huwevans.

I had a look at the front of the camera and the lens barrel is surrounded by so form of tough industrial type fabric. I would assume that this was there to stop the dust in but in my opinion it also helps dragging particles in. Also because of this I think the good old blast of compressed air wont work. The camera is only about 5 months old as I have recently gone digital (that is alongside my film). Do you think Fuji may deal with it since it comes with a 1 year warranty?

Regards,

Provia_fan

4. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

If you're getting foreign bodies appearing in the images, then I would think Fuji would certainly honour the warranty in respect of a thorough clean out. I'd be very, very surprised if they didn't, anyway.

5. FujiSigmaNolta

Thanks Huw,

I'll definately contact them.

Regards,

Provia_fan

6. Spats

Spats Active Member

Re: Need urgent help! Dust on internal lens element of Fuji S20pro!

If you didnt buy online..... one the advantages of using your local dealer is that your contract of sale is with them, they could arrange this for you or if you are lucky even offer a direct replacement or the loan of another camera while the work is carried out.

7. FujiSigmaNolta

Thanks for your help!

Sadly, I won't see may camera for 4 weeks. It's all a bit daunting when you go digital in the beginning. Small problems look like mountains (for me that speck of dust did look like a mountain if I took a silhouetted landscape at sunset). Anyway, once again thanks for your help!

Regards,

Provia_fan