1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B. Minolta , Autocord 1950's

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by PeteE, Nov 9, 2017.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Another 'Gift' -- A MINOLTA AUTOCORD , must be from the 1950's. I could not find this exact Model in research as there were about 17 models with different shutters and lenses . THIS one has the earlier OPTIPER -MXS with top speed of 1/400th , 'X' and 'M' flash synch, Delayed action lever, 75mm f3.2 View-Rokkor top lens and 75mm f3.5 Chiyoko Rokkor taking lens.It has the 'Autocord type' Focus lever, viewfinder Magnifier,'Sports' Viewfinder and a flash accessory shoe on the side (which would not fit a flash I tried) It takes 'Bayonet 1 Rollei' lens hood !
    This Camera is now 'very happy' -- i cleaned all the lenses back and front, taking off the viewing hood 4 screws and the reflex mirror was filthy and all dirt inside the viewing box has been removed -- a small amount of 'Neatsfoot Oil' on the black leather cover and the brown case-- the stitches have all gone rotten though.
    [​IMG]Minolta Autocord by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    Full Aperture Test under dull light.
    [​IMG]Minolta Autocord FULL APERTURE Test by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    Definition Test stopped down to f14 as light was bright for 250ASA Rated Ilford XP2400 Super used
    [​IMG]Minolta Autocord definition test by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    COLOUR Test on Fuji Superia 100 at f6.3
    [​IMG]1955 Minolta Autocord Colour Tests by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    I had LIGHT Leaks on the colour film - I had a look and the light seals were black 'Twine' -- that dreadful Japanese FOAM had not been invented in the early 1950's so I replaced it with black hard foam strips.

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed! I'm not sure if this brochure is the exact model but it's close.

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I have a friend who usually replaces rotten foam seals with hard felt (as used by Exacta?), which he reckons is longer lasting and doesn't go all crumbly as it ages.
    Have you tried that at all?

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Excellent lens as usual. However they were named, they were all the same lens.
    I had one of the last ones with out exposure meter, i used it in preference to my rolleiflexes for weddings.
    Though you had to remember to feed the film in the reverse direction in the enlarger when printing.

It never had the 2nd exposure buckle you could get with a Rollie, as the bend came after the exposed frame, not the middle of the next one.
    The lens was sharper than even the Rollie Tessar... and on par with the 2.8 Planar. I loved the quick lever focussing.

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I think we need to find whoever keeps giving Pete cameras and get them to give me a few!

Adrian
    (mond you, I did get given a Leica...)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  6. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I have fond memories of the Minolta Autocord...here's a snap of mine I had in 1975 (yes that is me) I think I paid £25 for it, its slightly different to yours though it has no emblem on the flick up view box, you could push that through and use it as a sports finder, it also had a slide button on the side for taking a double exposure, things were easier in those days.....
    Me and the Autocord 1975.jpg

7. Terrywoodenpic

That is a later model than @PeteE It looks like it has the special minolta qr releases 0n the straps.

8. IvorCamera

Yes I vaguely remember the quick release on each end of the neck strap, the strap was in new condition probably because the camera was used mainly on a tripod, what I did like about this camera was a lot of the Rollie bits and bobs fitted on this particular lens.....

9. Terrywoodenpic

Ther were all rollie no1 fit, as were the Yashica range and many other 2 1/4 cameras of the time. There were also third party fit manufactirers like Aico.

10. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your interest -- mine has the 'Optiper MXS 1-400th' shutter and as there was NO strap I found one in a drawer and put some Neatsfoot oil on it as it was leather and dry and had my original Rollei 2.8F Planar strap from 1960 BREAK. I had a local Saddlery fit a new strap with the original clips for I think £7-00 I get a LOT of my 'Gift' Cameras by being a 'CLUB' member. People get to know you OR people ring up the Club Secretary saying " I have some old cameras to go to a good home if anyone wants them"
    I did a VIDEO on this Autocord -- you c an see it here :

11. Terrywoodenpic

The camera that I have been looking for ages for the first Agfa Solinette. it was very like the sillette and a non folder. I have seen it in books but never in real life or for sale. I have various versions of the Solinette ll and the super Solinette, with apotar and solinar lenses but again none with the Soligon lens. which some say never was fitted. but I have seen an illustration of one.
    I would like to find the version of @IvorCamera Minolta Autocord again as it is a fine camera.

12. IvorCamera

Nice one Pete, enjoyed the video, very interesting but you are so lucky that it is still working normally the shutter gets all gunged up and sticks over the years.....with practice you can focus with the one hand.