1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B. Film Camera -- MINOLTA X-700

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by PeteE, Sep 20, 2016.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

My second 'manual focus ' is the famous MINOLTA X-700 on which I have done a Video and you can see it here :

This camera has an electronic shutter as against the 'clockwork one' of the SR-T100X so the battery powers both the shutter and the exposure system -- it cannot be used without a battery unlike the SR-T-100X , however the batteries are two of the easily bought SR 44 button cells and not the now-illegal Mercury type of the SR-T100X Viewing is by a bright screen with a center circular focusing aid of a Microprism and Split Image Rangefinder. On the RIGHT of screen appear RED 'LED's' showing the shutter speed and warning if on 'Manual'exposure. There are THREE Exposure modes : 'Manual', 'Aperture Priority Auto' and 'Program Auto' hence the 'MPS' near top plate of camera which stands for 'Minolta Program System'
    To get 'Program Auto' you have to set 'P' on the shutter dial and the LENS has to be set to a green '22' . If you want 'Aperture Priority' just set to 'A' on shutter dial and an aperture to give the Depth of Field you need on the lens ring. To take photos you have to switch ON with a lever attached to shutter speed dial -- there are two green 'ON' positions -- one with Music and one with NO Music ! Don't forget to switch to the black OFF or you will run out the batteries.You set the film sensitivity 'ASA Numbers' on top LEFT dial and as it has an electronic shutter the X-700 has an 'Exposure Compensation' control also on top left going from +2 stops to - 2 stops and 'Normal' is '0' There are both a 3mm co-axial flash plug and a 'dedicated flash 'hot -shoe' with flash synch from 1 second to no faster than 1/60th ( in RED). There is an electronic delayed action which I have used, under shutter speed dial : One way is the delay and other way is an 'Exposure Memory Lock'.There is a lens 'stop down control' on right of camera so you can see 'depth of field' but it just gets too dark to see much ! LENSES are the 'MD' type which meter at full aperture but I have also used the 'MC' type off the SR-T100X.

[​IMG]Minolta X-700 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    Undoubtedly the most successful Minolta camera since the SRT era, the X-700 was awarded “European Camera of the Year” in 1981. While production did switch from Japan to China during the 1990’s the camera was still available new from Minolta as late as 1999 (albeit with a significantly reduced range of lenses and accessories available).

I show it with an 'MD' fit Minolta Rokkor lens I also got, the 35-70mm f3.5 Zoom

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

mine is broken but the brass looks good once the paint has worn off.

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Apologies for coming in late on this thread, but there was a time when I had four X700 bodies.
    I'd started with an SRT101 in 1979, and after getting my first X700 (new), I went a bit mad buying used bodies so that I could have different films on the go at the same time. The majority of my colour slides were taken with an X700, and I've few complaints. One of my early lenses was the odd looking and rare Minolta 40-80 F/2.8 MC Rokkor. I think I sold much of the Minolta kit when I moved to Canon for AF. Before the AF revolution, there was a time when my X700 was in semi-professional use shooting stuff for work, and again, it didn't let me down.

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker Well-Known Member

The camera that went to war against the Canon A1.