1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B. Film Camera- Chinon 35EE (5 images)

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by spinno, Oct 29, 2011.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I acquired this camera a couple of years ago from E-bay. It arrived with an Olympus XA2, when I was thinking of going back to basics, and so was a bit of a surprise. I didn’t really look at it for a while. I didn’t realise it was a rangefinder! I thought it was just a compact.
    Some basic information about the camera. It is a 35mm rangefinder camera, with a 38mm f2.7 Chinonex Color Lens. It was originally powered by a 1.35v mercury battery but I use a hearing aid battery- did try a LR44 but it wasn’t very effective and of course I can’t find my spare hearing aid batteries..
    It works in the range ISO 25-500, speed 1/30 – 1/650, aperture f2.7-f14. It also operates at B setting at f2.7 (not tried that one yet) and has a hot shoe and PC socket for flash (again not tried yet). I use the camera on odd occasions- last year when I went to Northumberland on holiday and also started to use it as a carry around.
    Considering the age of the camera it’s only physical appearance fault is a missing nameplate around the lens. It has a 46mm lens thread (I had to buy a lens cap).
    Operationally it is quite simple, there is a square in the middle of the viewfinder window and when the two diverging images become one then the camera is focused.
    I’ve attached some images which I’ve taken with the camera, a couple or three from an early morning trip into the city centre, a couple from this week in the local park and one from an afternoon stroll with Spike yesterday.
    Picture 1
    [​IMG]
    Interesting bit of street art in Nottingham. As you can see the camera has handled this quite well, if anything a little bit of overexposure. Oh by the way shot on Fujicolour 200 with a tweak and slight crop in Elements 4. Film processed at ASDA and scanned to disc at High Res (1800x1200) and resized for web.
    Picture 2

[​IMG]
    Again early AM but shade. More flare but could decide whether reflection or what!
    Picture 3
    [​IMG]
    Again a bit of flare from the sun behind and to the right of the camera but like the detail in the notices. Colour is not bad either.
    Picture 4
    [​IMG]
    the park at lunchtime. The sun coming from the right. Overall colour rendition ok.
    a view across the pond
    Picture 5[​IMG]
    taken yesterday at about 12.55...

In summary...well for what it cost (nothing) it's a great camera
    The major fault is the tendency to slightly overexpose which may be down to the battery I'm using and the flare issue- some kind of hood may be useful. The other problem I have is that I carry it around in my pocket...after I've wound it on, and yeah that's right about 6 exposures are wasted...I must remember not to wind on!!!
    I think this camera falls into the Lomo category but as a carry round it's just about right once you get to know it.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Ok so the battery pack has re-surfaced and it is a Boots 675ZA rated at 1.4 as opposed to a 1.3volt Mallory PX675 or equivalent.
    I have found the Northumberland pics and will be placing them on my Flickr. They were taken using Kodak BW 400 CN film and again a little over exposure.
    Thanks for looking.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Further update....:mad::(oh dear it fell out of my coat pocket the other day and the back sprung open.
    I quickly closed the back and wound on. Physical damage is a large dent next to the rewind crank and a loss of a small plastic "window" above the exposure counter.
    Took the camera out and used it Saturday and yesterday....It was a new roll of XP2 so bad news is I lost about 5 images...good news is it's still working....and I got 31 images...mind you still not cured the overexposure problem but do I care...I'm so glad it still works:D

4. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Thanks for that- I'd read it some time ago when I discovered what the camera was.
    Probably treating it as a "Lomo" is the best idea but sometimes the sharpness frightens me and sometimes so does the softness:cool:. I feel that the tension when winding the film on is playing a very important role. As I said in the earlier thread I'm just glad it still works reasonably well...especially as I got some films for my birthday:D

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Update on this...we are now part of a family..I acquired a pristine condition silver version of the camera (did I say mine was black?) After cleaning out the battery compartment I put a new battery in.It had a film in it which I used...unfortunately the film was very badly fogged but some images were discernible, so I tried a fresh film yesterday...in the rain...the resultant images are ok but at some stage in the near future I will have to replace the light seals as there's a potential sticky mess in the camera.
    With regard to the original I have replaced non-existant light seals so I now need to try it out...waiting for a bit better weather....and if that works I will replace the seals in the silver model.

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Another update... well it's still over-exposing but I've recently surrendered my soul and joined Adobe CC. The tools in there actually manage to make some images taken with this camera look almost like proper pictures.
    I will post some up in the exhibition lounge for your perusal and general comments (I know they're rubbish composition etc.) about them

8. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link Dave.
    I have now acquired a silver and black version which isn't as battered as mine. I need to replace the seals before I use it but have lost my kit.
    Once I have done that I will get some pictures up to compare.
    I had a silver model previously but let it go.

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Sad to say Mr Black has retired- he went on a day trip to Scarborough and came back very much the worse for wear.
    However I did fix the light seals on the silver version and I have to say that it does a grand job. Once I can sit at a desk for more than 2 minutes I'll definitely put up some pictures in the Exhibition Lounge. I've also acquired a Mamiya 135 EE. Very similar to the Chinon but feels slightly better made, however only goes up to 400 iso whereas the Chinon goes to 500. Again it appears to do the job and I'll try and stick some comparable images up at some stage.