1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto focus

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by CornwallK, Apr 29, 2019.

1. CornwallK

CornwallK New Member

I'm working on a Nikon D3200 and very much a beginner. Someone else borrowed it and ever since then I can only use manual focus.

My instruction book says to highlight the current focus mode in the info display to change it, however, when I bring up the info display the focus mode and AF area mode beneath it are both blacked out so the cursor will not stop on either of them meaning I can't select a different option. It's currently set to MF. This is the case regardless of which shooting mode is selected (my preference is Manual).

I'm hoping there is just some other setting I need to change and a simple fix as I'm still trying to get my head around the best use of manual settings and at the moment I'm really struggling to get properly focussed pictures on top of that. Any suggestions to get around would be very appreciated!

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

First thing to check is the lens. Does it have it's own AF/M (or possibly marked A/M) switch, if it does is it set to AF? If not set it to M.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Start by looking at page 42 of the manual that came with your camera.
    To get AF-S or AF-C you must be using P, A, S or M mode and the lens must be set to AF or AM (AM = Auto focus with manual override).

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If someone else has been exploring the menues then you cannot have any idea what they have done.
    Its best to start again . In the setup menu select reset setup options (page 134 of manual). In the shooting menu reset shooting options (page 128 of manual). As far as I know there is no hidden reset everything button accessed with the end of a paper clip through a little 'ole. Any digital thing even half as complicated as a DSLR should 'ave one of those.
    As suggested above make sure that the lens is set to AF.
    The people who write manuals generally assume that the user is as familiar with the camera as they are. This is not exactly helpful to a new user.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Although you can sometimes disable AF with the shutter release (transferring the function to another button) I wouldn't expect it to it remove AF related options from the menu. Ditto for other configuration options. Although fully automatic mode can disable lots of options I'd expect it to default to AF. Other than the physical AF/MF switch on the lens (on Fuji cameras there is a switch on the body, don't know about Nikon) the only other thing I can think of is that the lens has been changed to a manual focus lens or is not properly connected - they need to click into place.