1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

August Theme - Retail Therapy

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Geren, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Best laid plans and all that - my computer has just crashed on me so I won't be posting results tonight!

The selected image was the one of my younger daughter standing on my elder daughter's back. It is called Backwalks Cost £1. Upfront. And was taken one afternoon when after squabbling all day they suddenly decided to cooperate with each other. Kristen has scoliosis and often suffers with backpain. Apparently, getting her sister to walk up her back helps with this. Fizzy is a good little capitalist and spotted a business opportunity. She charges £1 a go and having been fiddled out of her dosh once before now insists on getting the cash first! I can't post it tonight but it's on my blog on my site - https://www.kathrynpolleyphotography.com/sketchbook/

Latest post.

Fishboy and Catriona like this.
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

First of all, thank you to everyone who felt able to join in this month's theme. I don't think we garnered quite as many images as previous themes but we generated a fair bit of chat which I for one very much enjoyed! That said you still didn't make it easy to pick winners.

I really enjoyed Tony's 'facial massage' shot. The expression on that woman's face! I wonder if you could massage that away? It made me laugh and I like things that make me laugh!
    8bitT.jpg

Nigel's cardigans all neatly arranged on their hangers had a graphic quality to it that appealed as well as speaking to my (buried) inner neat freak. I do like a nice display:

elsid.jpg

'Other' Nigel's joke shop was a treat for me too. I'm not normally a huge fan of this kind of distortion but it seemed to fit the quirky nature of the shop and it gave it a kind of carnival/fayre feeling which was apt.

dreampolice.jpg

Talking of Carnivals and Fayres - Jeff's stallholder was fab, if a little disconcerting with those eyes:

fishboy.jpg

Sometimes, shopping is a dreadfully dull experience, and Catriona's wet pavement/carpark really summed up the Saturday shop for me:

Catriona.jpg

And then there were three images which I really struggled over because I liked them all so very much. I loved Kator Grond's shot of the man in front of the shopwindow, watch appearing on his ghostly form. It has echoes of magazine advertising and talks of aspiration which, afterall, is the premise behind so much retail these days.

kgrond.jpg

Then there was Andrew F's shopkeeper and his old fashioned copy machine. I've used one of those. I used to have a Saturday job in a 'gentleman's outfitter' and had to write out receipts with one of those in addition to putting people's credit cards into another contraption to make an impression of it and fill out all the gaps, asking the customer to sign the top copy and carefully filing the bottom two copies in hte till...which was operated with a lever at the side that forced out a long thin drawer Awkright style.

AndrewF.jpg

And then, just almost at the last, Fishboy put in this:

fishboy2.jpg

After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, it's my winner for this month simply because it looks so bloomin' inviting and I find myself wanting to be there. Therapy indeed!

Well done to everyone - it was a real treat. It is now my absolute pleasure to pass the baton on to Jeff!

Kath

Zou, Catriona and dream_police like this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Congrats Jeff. Haha.

Geren likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well done Jeff!

Thanks for the mention Kath. I feel a bit guilty, since most of the month wasn't too bad, really.

Looking forward to seeing what Jeff puts us through for September! Be kind! It's my birthday month, so nothing too energetic please.

Kate

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

How rude of me, forgot to thank you for the mention.Thanks.:oops:

I say it every month, but I really must try harder. I've not really been out with the camera much at all recently. This mixture of work and retirement is actually keeping me quite busy!

Catriona likes this.
  6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Wow - thank you very much indeed!

There were some cracking shots entered this month and I feel a bit guilty about submitting something I'd taken on the last day while sitting in a pub drinking beer and then being chosen as the winner. As a reward, I've now got to come up with a theme for September...

In my part of the world September tends to have pretty poor weather and the trees haven't usually started showing their Autumn colours yet, so I don't think anything too out-doorsy is really appropriate. As the September theme I think I'll go for 'Still Life' - in whatever form appeals to you. Candid or formally set-up, traditional or modern, serious or amusing...whatever butters your toast!

I'll start a thread for September and see how we do!

Thanks again, Jeff

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Like it! Suits me too. :)

8. Fishboy

I have to admit that there's an ulterior motive behind the choice. I've never been happy with the results of my still life attempts and really want to see how everybody else does it!

Cheers, Jeff

Catriona likes this.
  9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Suits me as well. I like a bit of still life.!

Catriona likes this.
  10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I never fancied my results on still life so look forward to seeing the results and getting ideas. Only trouble is I have just recovered from the after effects of my therapy and am going right into organising a big family party - all in all I do not see myself having much time in September, but I will bo my best.

Geren and Fishboy like this.
  11. Fishboy

I'm sure that anything you can share with us will be very much appreciated.

I also hope that your party is a resounding success!

Cheers, Jeff

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I think Jeff has kindly left enough room in the breif for a 'found' still life to count - perhaps some element of the party planning process will lend itself to that?

13. Fishboy

That's what I was getting at when I mentioned 'candid' ones - I knew there was a better term for what I meant!

You see - all that highfalutin' book-learnin' hasn't been wasted on you!

Cheers, Jeff

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yup I sure am glad I got me edumacated!

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

This was taken this morning so can't count for 'September' but I'd consider it a 'found still life' 170831-005.jpg

I am still very much in the early negotiating stages of a project involving one of my neighbours. He said he was happy to be subject matter but is still stalling me and putting me off at every available opportunity. Today however he let me into the shop and left me while he went out to get something from his car. I think I'm just going to have to be very gently persistent and keep chipping away at him until he's more comfortable with the whole idea. Anyway, this is the tiny little kitchen area at the back of the shop.

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Neat move Jeff, get in at the last moment and walk off with the plaudits - eBay training perhaps...:D A very atmospheric pic.

Thanks for the mention Kathy, it's very much the kind of shot that appeals to me as well.

17. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Well done Jeff, and thanks Kath for a great theme. It's rare I go near a shop these days so no up to date contributions from me, but I've enjoyed perusing all the images. Still Life, Hmmm. I suppose one of my work colleagues today would qualify!!! I'll see if I can get a snap of him.

Geren likes this.
  18. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Thanks for the mention, great set of images, and off we go for another round.

19. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Congrats Jeff :) and on to September :D

Jack

20. robgregson1974

robgregson1974 New Member

Thomas Street, Manchester. Must be closed for lunch.