1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

August Theme - Retail Therapy

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Geren, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Can I just add...I'm looking through all this month's entries with a view to picking out a winner. For a theme that a few said they wouldn't be able to produce anything for...you haven't exactly made it easy!

EightBitTony likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

To have and to have not - Big Issue seller...

Panasonic GM5_black 8G 07 _1040938.JPG

3. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Ad-Agency hell:
    "Aghh! they're right; Bloody copywriters, that's another typo I've just spotted!"

Blackpool004.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Geren likes this.
  4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Abandoned, late for a show.

VVUC.jpg

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Did a wee shop today :)

[​IMG]

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I went to an antique shop/hall with various spaces allocated to different dealers. There was one relatively large area taken over entirely by gollys. Badges from the Jams, dolls, models etc. Felt really uncomfortable being in there, almost guilty for looking.

7. Andrew Flannigan

We're supposed to feel guilty for everything our predecessors did these days. Perhaps we should just accept the past for what it was - a much more innocent land that meant no harm and often did good.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Er, no. We should feel regret that they did those things, and make sure not to do them again in our generation, challenging oppression and injustice wherever we see it. Far better than the Nelson-esque raising the glass to the bad eye to say we see a much more innocent land that meant no harm and often did good.

9. Andrew Flannigan

I think that challenging racism today is good. Suppressing it from yesterday is bad. Other opinions are equally valid.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Suppressing? Have to face up to it. That's why I'm in favour of not ripping down statues of Dundas etc. from Edinburgh - I'd rather we just put a new plaque on them saying what utter shitebags they were.

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

By the way - Geren not only has to judge this month's theme winner - but she has also been judged elsewhere and will soon be shown in exalted company - well, her picture anyway. Hopefully she will get to the show herself.
    Geren's picture has been selected for The Art on a Postcard show, fundraiser and auction. The Photography on a Postcard part!

So well deserved - and I'm happy to say it's a picture I absolutely loved the moment I saw it.

Congratulations and best wishes!

Kate

Geren, Trannifan, Craig20264 and 6 others like this.
  12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

The Gin company is a co-sponsor of Edinburgh book festival

retreat.JPG

Geren and Catriona like this.
  13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Gin and reading. That's a pretty good combo!!!

14. dream_police

Forget the book. Just drink gin.

Zou and Geren like this.
  15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Thank you Kate for those very kind words. I was really pleased to have had that image chosen - it represents a rare moment of cooperation between my two girls and is precious to me for that alone. It's always gratifying though when other people like what you do!

As for the judging...it's coming right up. I've gone through the posts and selected the ones that grabbed me most without paying attention to who posted them, and I have had them up on my screen now, moving them around, thinking about htem...and I'm about to make a final selection. Then I'll have to figure out who did what! Results out later this evening then!

Zou and Catriona like this.
  16. dream_police

Which image is it Kath? Can you post it, or is it on here?

Geren and Fishboy like this.
  17. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I second that question Kath - please, let us know!

Cheers, Jeff

Geren likes this.
  18. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

And since we've still got a day and a bit...my kind of retail therapy:

[​IMG]Flying Horse by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

Flying Horse this evening on the way home from work - Nikon D3 with 24mm f2.8, ISO200, 1/200 at f3,5

Cheers, Jeff

Geren and Zou like this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

Exmouth Market...

Panasonic GM5_red 8GB 02 P1230028.JPG

20. Andrew Flannigan

Serious therapy...

Fujifilm SL300 8GB 05 DSCF3539.JPG