1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

August Theme - Retail Therapy

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Geren, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

As delighted as I was to have had my picture selected as last month's winner, especially when there were some really fantastic shots submitted by others, I was a bit horrified at having to come up with a new theme overnight. I hadn't really considered anything because, well, you know, nobody likes to assume... Then I remembered that I have a project on the go that I have stalled with a bit, so I hope you all don't mind but I'm rather using this as a jump start to get me back into it.

My own project is a documentation of my connection to a place through the shops and businesses that I interact with daily, but for the purposes of this theme, you can be looking at any aspect of shops and shopping. Think window displays, market stalls, home deliveries, carboot sales, jumble sales, lemonade stands, pick your own fruit, Amazon, trolleys, shopping lists, queues, unpacking, packing, the rubbish generated, vintage or second hand shops...anything that connects to the idea of retail in whatever way you like.

I'll put up a couple of examples to get things going and then it's over to you. Happy shopping!

15-10-08-Y3-T1-B2-ShoppingAJ-002.jpg 15-10-08-Y3-T1-B2-ShoppingAJ-005.jpg 15-10-12-Y3-T1-B2-Partick-To-Cowcaddens-002a.jpg 15-10-12-Y3-T1-B2-Partick-To-Cowcaddens-010a.jpg 170326-015a.jpg Hon0812-020.jpg

(The first couple of images were from a project that I did whereby I dragged a poor unsuspecting friend out for a days shopping and then insisted on photographing her as we went about Glasgow for the day. Then there are a couple of shots from a set I made exploring the overground route to my usual subway route to school every day. The Christmas Shoppe is part of my current project and the lady on the market stall is an ancient one from a holiday near Honfleur in Normandy.)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Not really my area, but I do have a vaguely relevant oldie (so not eligible to win!)...
    gendered.jpg
    Gender Segregated Therapy?

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I photograph too many shop windows, usually as selfies.

Here's 3 totally random shots from ages ago (so again, out of scope).

Multi-tasking
    20141019-600D-3487_x1200_hq.jpg

Leg-only selfie.
    20141026-600D-4893_x1200_hq.jpg

High-street decay.
    20141109-600D-5940_x1200_hq.jpg

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Don't forget it doesn't have to just be shops. It could be your groceries when you get them home. Or your shopping bags for that matter! Online shopping counts too!

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I know I was just admitting to my habit of photographing shop fronts (badly)

Done_rundleCams and Geren like this.
  6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Three things on my shopping list.
    Paper
    Butter
    Notepads

So how come I lugged this home?
    shopping 2 ap.jpg

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

An old one to start me off

Shapes-LR.jpg

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I am hoping against hope that that is a REALLY old photograph, but sadly I bet it's not.

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have a few 'selfies' where I couldn't avoid getting myself in the frame but mostly I try to avoid it. Mainly becuase I'm not all that interesting to look at! I also have far too many indicating high street decay. It's a struggle because I want to photograph my town as I find it but I don't necessarily want to make the impression worse than it really is so I do try to find a balance. I think my own project is going to e a real mix and finding a common visual language might be a bit of a struggle.

11. Craig20264

Another oldie

D-LR.jpg

Done_rundleCams and Geren like this.
  12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I do love this last shot - empty shops and the light that bounces around them seem quite attractive to me. Probalby not a good thing. ARe those dresses supposed to be for weddings? Surely not? Yikes!

13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Becuase sunflowers are too cheery to be left behind!

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I look at that and two things come to mind. First, why bother putting that handbag over hwere nobody can properly see it and secondly, what exactly is that railing in aid of?

15. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I couldn't comment on the handbag, but I'm guessing that the railing is to stop people from walking under the escalator(?) and banging their heads on it.

Cheers, Jeff

16. Craig20264

Someone probably hit their head on the low roofline and sued Debenhams!

Edit: Jeff beat me to it

17. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

A contrasting juxtaposition .... from, either, 2003 or 2004 and Canon G2 :eek:

Bags_Galore-Comfortable_Shopping_Ad-June02-2004-116-img_1627.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

Zou, Geren, Catriona and 2 others like this.
  18. Craig20264

Looks like Mrs Craig coming home from town on a Saturday! Just needs a few more shoe boxes!

Done_rundleCams and dream_police like this.
  19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

End of February last year. Sorry. :(

Mind you, not been upstairs at Smith's recently. Will check tomorrow if still like that...

20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Am i the only one thinking that there is nothing wrong having a section for boys and girls toys?
    Is it any different from segregating boys and girls and mens and womens clothing?
    It's going to make chosing clothes even harder when I go to buy a suit and come out with a frock.:)