1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspect ratios and file saving

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by El_Sid, Apr 30, 2018.

1. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Recently I have been taking pictures on my G3 in square format. Yesterday I finally got round to downloading then to my PC for sorting.

Now while I expected the JPEG files to be square I was somewhat surprised to discover that the RAW (.rw2) were also square format. I had, apparently mistakenly, assumed that while the JPEGS would be square the camera would still record the full frame for the raw file which it does not appear to have done.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this actually the case or have I missed something? Is it possible to access the full frame for the raw file or is it really only square?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think you'd need to read the manual. My understanding is indeed that it is usual to have the full frame Raw files - the masking to other aspect ratios being done by the in-camera conversion. Possibly the raw-file header contains a flag that says the file should appear cropped in whatever software you are using. As a thought, if the raw file size is 3/4 of the usual then you know the data is gone.

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes - the Panasonic LX100 does the same - and it caught me out, too! Likewise, I expected the JPGs to be cropped to 1:1, and the Raw files to be 3:2, but it wasn't the case.

Panasonic seems to be alone in cropping the Raw files in this way - unless anyone knows otherwise. :confused:

4. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Olympus claim to always have the raw file full size regardless of aspect ratio. That said I have never tried so this is just “I think it is the case”

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Why crop images at the time you take them, since you obviously have access to the RAW files for processing later?
    You might reconsider and want a different crop to the one you selected when taking the picture.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The point is I wasn't expecting the raw files to be cropped. I fancied composing in square format with the option of reverting to the full frame raw file if required. The assumption I made was that the G3 records the whole frame with raw files and only applies the crop to JPGs - experience has proven this assumption to be false. Hey-ho we live & learn...:confused:

7. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

Sorry about the time elapsed before the reply. I took some test photos at the time and forgot about them until now.

I have a Panasonic G80 (also an LX100).
    Took same photo in each of ther G80 crop modes: ie full frame 4x3, square, 3/2 and 16x9.
    Using Silkypix and the crop (trim) tool (ctrl T) click the "enable all data" button and the frame will turn back into a full frame with a crop frame selected at the size you chose, which you can adjust as required. In fact you may see some invalid areas outside of the full frame, but don't go that far.

The moral is, even if you do not like using Silkypix as your normal tool, it is still useful to have, and it is free for all Panasonic owners to download.

Additionally (and this is another big advantage) using Silkypix you can adjust the camera setting in development mode ie Standard, Natural, Vivid, Portait, Scenery, Monochrome, Various film simulators and best of all Silkypix own Standard. What you see here depends on the camera model you have. In LR I guess you are stuck with what you set on the camera.

The Silkypix Standard seems to give more natural greens, and about 1/3 stop more exposure in the shadows, but conversely a lot more definition in the sky.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, I should have checked with Silkypix since I do have it installed. I have also recently installed DXO's OpticPro 11, it will be interesting to see if that sees all the image or just the crop...

9. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

As a Nikon user, but with an LX100 for my pocket when I don’t want to carry my camera bag, I’ve only just found this post.

The LX100 is an oddball in terms of cropping, as it has three “full frame” formats, 4×3, 3×2 and 16×9. Its sensor (reputedly from a GX7) is oversize for the image circle of its lens, and all three of the above formats use a rectangle of pixels chosen to just fit within that image circle. So unless the RAW files used the same photosites as their corresponding JPEGs, they would need to save either the full 16MPx Four Thirds output, or a strange shape incorporating these 4112×3088, 4272×2856 and 4480×2520 outputs. (Frustratingly, the 1:1 format doesn’t use the full 3448 pixel height of the GX7, but instead is a crop of the 4×3 format, so I’ve never used this format, preferring the flexibility of being able to crop when editing, and thus I don’t have any experience of 1:1 RAW files. In any case, I’ve hardly ever tried editing LX100 RAW files, because currently I can only do so with the unfamiliar Silkypix.)

I think I may have seen references to some of the video-oriented Panasonic interchangeable lens cameras having working pixels outside the standard Four Thirds area of their sensors.

Chris