1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask About FirstView

Discussion in 'FirstViews [Archive]' started by TheFatControlleR, Dec 15, 2006.

1. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

But that's the point Will, sober or otherwise, just pick up a camera on auto, point, and shoot. It's not an artsy-fartsy competition! :cool:

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Re: About FirstView

In fact, Will, just make sure the camera is switched on before you have that 'one over the eight', then when you slump down onto the bar counter for a postprandial nap your head will activate the shutter release, taking perhaps one of the most authentically unstaged photographs we will get. :)

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Well that'll do for me Myk............................it'll probably be out of focus, extremely wobbly, will feature loads of empty tinnies in a waste bin but you'll be getting the "true BigWill" in all it's technicolour glory :eek:(do we really want that! :eek: :eek:.....................yes we do! :eek: :eek: :eek:)..........................which is what we want to see.........................a "slice of your life and your existance on this planet.....................for what it's worth or otherwise"..........................it'll prove fascinating I know because we've got some pretty amazing people on here and an insight into their "life" will prove to be wonderfull!! :eek: :eek:

BigWill

4. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

.................I knew all along it was the angel of the north..................after all............................who'd want to see the shadow of some fat welsh git! :D :D :D ;)

BigWill

P.S...................................in case anyone is in any doubt......................I love Huw and the welsh nation as a whole.......................apart from Neill Kinnock.........................whom everyone hates of course! :D :D :D ;)

BigWill

5. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

And we can just sense the warmth and affection radiating across the Irish Sea towards us. Oh no, wait, it's a mixture of beer-breath, sweaty armpits, and methane tinged with chicken vindaloo - my mistake! ;-)

6. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I could lend you a mop and bucket if it would help???

Graeme

7. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

<span style="color:blue"> Moderator: Okay guys, we're normally quite relaxed about straying off-topic here, but since this is a new board and a new forum activity, and since this thread is meant to be for getting the idea across and dealing with any queries, perhaps you could continue this up in the Lounge? I'll move what follows about A&E closures over to a </span> new thread <span style="color:blue"> there. It's a perfectly worthwhile subject to discuss, but we don't want the point of FirstView being lost before it's even got off the ground. Thanks.</span>

8. Jaded

Jaded Well-Known Member

Can it be stressed that this has to be taken on the day?

The monthly competition often has photos taken years ago, which is not necessarily great way for those that have tried to interpret the theme in the month.

9. TheFatControlleR

I think you'll find that's pretty much covered;

'The idea is that on the day you will produce a picture that captures some part of your day...'

10. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Just a small point, there are still a lot of forum users who only use film. 2 days isn't really enough time to take the picture, get it developed and then scan it in. I can see it being a bit of a pain to keep reopening the thread.

11. TheFatControlleR

However, the option to re-open the thread is there, no-one will be disbarred (within reason). I think we'll just have to suck-it-and-see for the first month or two, if need be we'll make adjustments to the guidelines. :)

12. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

If there's a legitimate reason for the delay - and film processing would seem perfectly legitimate to me - I'll be happy to re-open the thread at more or less any time. I don't want to leave the threads permanently open to make sure there is some sort of incentive for people to be prompt about posting. (I'm assuming here that most people will probably shoot this on digital, even if it's not their main photographic medium.) After the first couple of days people will actually have to put in a request by pm for it to be re-opened, so it will be a little bit less convenient, but that's all.

If there are lots of requests I may just re-open the threads for a couple of days a few weeks after the first closing, so that everyone who was late can post at the same time. Another possibility would be that latecomers can pm me with the web address of their image and its details and I can edit them into the thread without opening it for general posting. We'll have to see how it goes - it's a new venture so until we can see how popular it is it's hard to predict exactly what will work best.

13. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Can't say fairer than that then!

14. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

But it's not outside the remit of the monthly competition where Garry has clearly stated "It is entirely up to you whether the images have to be taken this year or not." and if somebody also already put effort into interpreting that subject albeit not in the month of the comp., does it really matter?

15. Jaded

Jaded Well-Known Member

You are quite right David.

Although Garry clearly stated this too, in the sentence after the one you quoted.

"You can sit on your backside and pour through the files for likely candidates or you can go out and create pictures. If you win because you have shot the image specifically, then it will make victory all the sweeter — the choice is yours."

16. TheFatControlleR

I must be missing something here, i.e. the point you're trying to make... I assume there is one. :D

17. Jaded

Jaded Well-Known Member

Just that the tone of the remainder of Garry's quote is quite different from the part quoted by David.

18. Lounge Lizard

Tone or otherwise, the interpretation is clear. The monthly comp. has no time limit, it just has to meet the theme. The FirstView event is limited to the first of the month but has no theme apart from recording some activity that you saw or took part in on that day.

19. scm

scm Well-Known Member

Huh? You try posting the day after the month in question! :D

20. Lounge Lizard

Siuya is usually on the ball with this one. Perhaps we should call him Trigger...? :D